Pimp Questions

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
This thread is to share random pimp questions about whatever you want: Pharmocology, A&P, patho, clincal situations, etc. Anything goes! Hopefully this can be a fun way to kill time and learn something new.

For those of you who do not kow what "Pimp questions" are they are difficult or obscure questions typically asked by instructors to students to test their knowledge.

Try to answer questions without looking things up. If your not sure feel free to take a guess and brainstorm with others.

Get yo' pimp on...:beerchug:

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Explain the second stage of the Cushing reflex. Why and how does it occur?

Explain the 3 types of Aortic Dissection

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Explain the second stage of the Cushing reflex. Why and how does it occur?

Explain the 3 types of Aortic Dissection
I know only the answer to the first one. It's bradycardia, and it's because baroreceptors in the carotid detect an increase in pressure, and stimulate the vagus nerve to slow down the heart.

I don't have any pimp questions that I can think of. :[

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I vote Vene and JP aren't allowed to play this game. They gonna win :glare:

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
DeBakey (sp?) 1,2 and 3. Don't remember what the differences are without cheating.

Type 1 (most common) originates in the ascending aorta and extends to at least the aortic arch or farther.
Type 2 originates and is confined in the ascending aorta
Type 3 orientates in the descending aorta and extends towards the abdominal aorta.

I sometimes mix them up. Logically I think type 1 and 2 should be switched.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Do we have to answer the prior question before we can ask one? Or drink a 1/2 liter of stout?

mycrofft

Pt c/o hemorrhoids. You flip him over, confirm then order a liver panel and ask if he has ever coughed up, spit up or vomitted blood.
Why?
(PS: BP elevated)

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Pt c/o hemorrhoids. You flip him over, confirm then order a liver panel and ask if he has ever coughed up, spit up or vomitted blood.
Why?
(PS: BP elevated)

Anorectal varices* r/t portal hypertension associated with liver failure. Other common complications are esophageal and gastric varices.

*Anorectal varices is the correct term even though many just refer to them as hemorrhoids. They are similar but not the same thing.

Anyone know what a TIPS procedure is?

mycrofft

Winner winner chikkin dinner

mycrofft

Elderly pt c/o "ashy feet". On exam, has moccasin-shaped dry powdery skin on both feet. You also see another lesion, a 8mm fairly deep ulcer with red border and yellow floor, painless, been around about a "couple weeks".

Which lab order do you check off first before the obligatory CBC/diff&RDW+Chem4?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
TIPS is a liver shunt to treat portal HTN. I only remember because I transported a patient who underwent one.

mycrofft

mycrofft

Elderly pt c/o "ashy feet". On exam, has moccasin-shaped dry powdery skin on both feet. You also see another lesion, a 8mm fairly deep ulcer with red border and yellow floor, painless, been around about a "couple weeks".

Which lab order do you check off first before the obligatory CBC/diff&RDW+Chem4?

Hint: Rhymes with "parakeet"...

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
New Years Eve Mega Pimp Question

hereditary_angioedema.jpg

You patient presents with ^

What is it? What is a common cause? Explain why it happens

mycrofft

Dos it extend up into the optic area?
Does it have to do with kissing the new secretary and finding out she's not as drunk as you thought?

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Dos it extend up into the optic area?
Does it have to do with kissing the new secretary and finding out she's not as drunk as you thought?

Yes it does. Uh no

mycrofft

How long has it lasted and how rapid was it's onset?

mycrofft

I'm fishing, don't know. I'd palpate, look for blanching and rebound, sensation, local motor neuro signs. Suspect some sort of , er, lymphatic blockage?

Not cherubism...