Physical Requirements?

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
Hi everyone,

So I've been trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with my life and after looking into a few different careers, I've decided I'm going to go for a career in EMS. However, my parents weren't exactly stoked on my life plans when I told them. But, when I told them about it I said I was going to look into becoming a firefighter/ paramedic and after doing some more research I've found that I really want to do the paramedic part more than firefighter. Haven't told them that yet. (My mom may feel better about that, she didn't like the idea of me running into burning buildings. ;))

My dad seemed to be glad I found something I really wanted to do and didn't have any problems with the idea. My mom however was more concerned. Specifically two things concerned her. Income and physical strength requirements.

Personally, I'm not interested in the job because of the pay, I'm more interested in being able to help people. However, I did the math and I could live comfortably by myself making $32,000 a year. (That's how much my local EMS pays EMT-B) So I think that will put her mind to rest about that.

I too am concerned about the physical requirements though, especially since I couldn't find very much information about it online. I was hoping that I could get some more information about that here.

I'm not a jacked dude, I'm honestly pretty small. I'm 6ft tall and only 155lbs. So not exactly buff. However, I have started working out quite a bit since March and I think if I keep that up as well as eat more I'll be able to get to 165-170 by the end of senior year. (Next year - I'm currently 17 and getting close to finishing my junior year.)

Also, I've done some research and found that my local hospital offers a standard first aid, CPR, and AED course so I'm thinking I'll take that and hopefully take a couple EMT classes at my local Technical College. (I haven't confirmed whether I can take specific classes or not. It's kind of weird because the college has a specific EMT Basic course but along with the EMT classes there is a math class, English class, and biology class. Which all comes out to be about $3,500 which is a little steep. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that or not yet. Hopefully there will be a way I can just take the EMT classes.)

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. (Specifically about the physical requirements)

Thanks
-Chuck

PS: I typically don't share information about where I live online for safety reasons, but if you need more information on where I'm planning to work or on the technical college then let me know.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I think you are on the right track. Most places don't have physical requirements but expect that you should be able to do the job. Taking the initiative and making your self healthy and fit will be a good way to be able to have a long career in ems or in anything after. Look at fire department physical requirements if you want a standard to go off of. I would also talk to you local agency to see if they do an explorer program as an introduction to this feild or the fire service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
However, I did the math and I could live comfortably by myself making $32,000 a year.

You might want to ask around about this - and ask your parents. Remember, EMS salaries are not exactly great, in most places, and EMS has limited growth potential. That said, you can make it work.

I too am concerned about the physical requirements though

Don't worry about it. I am 5'7" (on a good day), 150 lbs. (also, you know, on a good day), and I have yet to have any issues - I'm not very strong, but you would be surprised how much you and a partner of equal or smaller size can lift when you use good technique!

Now as far as career suggestions, have you considered taking all of the four courses you mentioned (math, English, bio, and EMT) all at once? There is a lot of value in having additional basic academic background!

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
You might want to ask around about this - and ask your parents. Remember, EMS salaries are not exactly great, in most places, and EMS has limited growth potential. That said, you can make it work.
I did discuss this with my dad. He looked at all my figures and said everything was about how it would be. Granted, all of my figures were estimates but he said they were good estimates. As for growth potential, there isn't much like you said. The County EMS I'd really like to work at has three levels one can work at. EMT Basic, EMT Advanced, and Paramedic. EMT Basic is, obviously, the lowest paying job and I think that'll probably be where I start until I get my Paramedic certification. EMT advanced and Paramedic both go up to about 39,0000-40,000. Paramedic is the highest. And then there are also supervisory positions I could look into when I feel the time is right.

Don't worry about it. I am 5'7" (on a good day), 150 lbs. (also, you know, on a good day), and I have yet to have any issues - I'm not very strong, but you would be surprised how much you and a partner of equal or smaller size can lift when you use good technique!
This makes me feel much better! Like zacdav said I'll keep in shape and fit, but it's good to know I won't need to be jacked in order to effectively do my job.

Now as far as career suggestions, have you considered taking all of the four courses you mentioned (math, English, bio, and EMT) all at once? There is a lot of value in having additional basic academic background!
Well, my parents really want me to get go to Bob Jones University and get a degree there, so I'm thinking I'll get an associates in Business and then go back to the Tech School and get my paramedic while working part time as an EMT. (Can I do that. Are people able to work part time while going to college?)

I do understand how those classes will be important, but I'll be taking them at BJU so I don't think I need them now. My parents will pay for my college degree, but I think the EMT classes will be on me, but I'll talk to them about it.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Can I do that. Are people able to work part time while going to college?
My wife is on her final class before her capstone project to complete her BSN. She is a full-time RN clinical manager for a regional home health service, and has 3 needy children (I may, or may not be able to confirm one is of the "man child" variety). Yes, you can do that.

Also, you articulate extremely well for a 17 year old, and seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Make earning a bachelors degree your top priority while doing EMT, then go for your paramedic.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I did discuss this with my dad. He looked at all my figures and said everything was about how it would be. Granted, all of my figures were estimates but he said they were good estimates. As for growth potential, there isn't much like you said. The County EMS I'd really like to work at has three levels one can work at. EMT Basic, EMT Advanced, and Paramedic. EMT Basic is, obviously, the lowest paying job and I think that'll probably be where I start until I get my Paramedic certification. EMT advanced and Paramedic both go up to about 39,0000-40,000. Paramedic is the highest. And then there are also supervisory positions I could look into when I feel the time is right.

Sounds reasonable - I'm glad to see you looked into this, it is definitely something most people don't take the time to do.

This makes me feel much better! Like zacdav said I'll keep in shape and fit, but it's good to know I won't need to be jacked in order to effectively do my job.

Far from it - you just need to be functional!

Well, my parents really want me to get go to Bob Jones University and get a degree there, so I'm thinking I'll get an associates in Business and then go back to the Tech School and get my paramedic while working part time as an EMT. (Can I do that. Are people able to work part time while going to college?)

I do understand how those classes will be important, but I'll be taking them at BJU so I don't think I need them now. My parents will pay for my college degree, but I think the EMT classes will be on me, but I'll talk to them about it.

This also seems quite reasonable. I would caution you to consider your state's public university if you have any likelihood of needing to take on loans...the flagship state schools can be an order of magnitude cheaper than a private institution of comparable (or even lesser) quality. And as @VentMonkey said, yes, you can totally work part time in school!

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont know where you live so that can be a part of it but, those salaries are a little on the low side. As ive learned on this site, that tends to be a normal thing, i guess im just truly spoiled.

I say this because there is certainly potential to make more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
My wife is on her final class before her capstone project to complete her BSN. She is a full-time RN clinical manager for a regional home health service, and has 3 needy children (I may, or may not be able to confirm one is of the "man child" variety). Yes, you can do that.

Also, you articulate extremely well for a 17 year old, and seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Make earning a bachelors degree your top priority while doing EMT, then go for your paramedic.
That's good to know. The biggest thing I could think of that would hold me back was getting experience, but if I'm able to work part time while I'm in college then that will help a lot.

Bachelors? That's 4 years... oh well, I guess it would be good. If anything I'd have something to fall back on if EMS doesn't work out.

This also seems quite reasonable. I would caution you to consider your state's public university if you have any likelihood of needing to take on loans...the flagship state schools can be an order of magnitude cheaper than a private institution of comparable (or even lesser) quality. And as @VentMonkey said, yes, you can totally work part time in school!
Like I said earlier, paying for my education is not a problem. My parents have told me they will take care of that. I have seven other siblings. Four of those have already graduated from BJU and two of them are currently there and my parents have paid for all of them, so they understand the costs. I can't thank them enough for my education, it's really amazing!

I dont know where you live so that can be a part of it but, those salaries are a little on the low side. As ive learned on this site, that tends to be a normal thing, i guess im just truly spoiled.

I say this because there is certainly potential to make more.

Well, yes.. there are some other places I could work, but this where I've spent most of my life. I'd really like to stay here instead of move to another community just because I can get better pay. Obviously though, if I get married while in college (which all my siblings have done) then I may need to consider looking elsewhere to support a family.

I can't see the future, so it's hard for me to know how much I will need. As for now, I could get by fine here on the pay they offer.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
That's good to know. The biggest thing I could think of that would hold me back was getting experience, but if I'm able to work part time while I'm in college then that will help a lot.

Bachelors? That's 4 years... oh well, I guess it would be good. If anything I'd have something to fall back on if EMS doesn't work out.
This biggest thing that would hold you back is not having your bachelors degree. Experience comes over time, and with life regardless of your line of work; it often epitomizes "adulting".

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you dont need new cars every year, an obscenely large boat and a culdesac house with a white picket fence you can get by on EMS wages.

My wife barely made 17k last year while going to nursing school full time and we have a 3 year old in preschool. There is nothing weve gone without that we needed. Ive even managed to do a compete frame up restoration on an old truck in that time. But our cars are paid for and we dont live beyond our means.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This biggest thing that would hold you back is not having your bachelors degree. Experience comes over time, and with life regardless of your line of work; it often epitomizes "adulting".

This, OP. Post-secondary education is the best* downside protection you can have.
ep_chart_001.png

*Barring, of course, being heavily indebted for said education

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
First off, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's posted in the past 24 hours. All of this advice, suggestions, and information has really helped me figure things out!

So, from what y'all have said it sounds like getting my Bachelor's would be best. Does it matter what I major in?

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
If you dont need new cars every year, an obscenely large boat and a culdesac house with a white picket fence you can get by on EMS wages.

My wife barely made 17k last year while going to nursing school full time and we have a 3 year old in preschool. There is nothing weve gone without that we needed. Ive even managed to do a compete frame up restoration on an old truck in that time. But our cars are paid for and we dont live beyond our means.

No, I don't need a fancy life. As long as I have a place to sleep at night and a steady internet connection I'll be fine. ;)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I think looking into nursing would be a good idea for a degree route. You can still get into EMS as a medic if you are an RN, but having that in your pocket opens more doors for you. You have it if an injury ever sidelines you from EMS, you need a job that pays better, or you could get into HEMS as a flight nurse and work prehospital while getting paid better to do it.

As far as the physical side, you don't need to be jacked. That being said, people tend to put on some pounds in this job. Fast food, lack of exercise, poor sleep habits, etc take their toll. Workout a few days a week and eat right, you won't have any problems then.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
People harp about EMS wages, and in many places they're dismal, but like GMC said, there's lots of places that Paramedics can make a comfortable living wage. My base salary as a medic for a county third service is 56k/year in an area where the COL is ~3% less than the national average. I don't live lavishly but I live very comfortably and am about to start building our new home with a local builder. Granted I'm lucky and my fiancée is a hard worker and between her job and mine plus the OT I work and the events company I work for we'll clear nearly 100k this year.

The only thing I would change about the way I went about my life when it comes to my career is I wish I had gotten a degree, at minimum and associates but preferably a bachelor's before going through Paramedic school. Having a degree truly is important and I firmly believe EMS is going to begin transitioning towards a degree requirement for Paramedics. Granted if you get in before that happens you'll likely be grandfathered in and still allowed to work. With that said, having a degree opens up more options to you if you were to decide EMS isn't for you or suffered a career ending injury which, unfortunately, isn't exactly uncommon as we do have a very physical job although technology is coming out to make the job safer when it comes to lifting (power stretches and power loading ambulances).

32k for a young, single guy is definitely doable but remember that eventually, believe it or not your going to want to get married, possibly have kids, a house, a dog, etc and 32k will not cover that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
32k for a young, single guy is definitely doable but remember that eventually, believe it or not your going to want to get married, possibly have kids, a house, a dog, etc and 32k will not cover that.

This is so important to emphasize.

Remember, that it costs $10-15k a year to raise a child...post-tax...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This is so important to emphasize.

Remember, that it costs $10-15k a year to raise a child...post-tax...

If you told me 5 years ago that at 27 I'd be working on buying a home, getting married and then targeting starting to try for our first kid this time next year I'd have told you that you're outside of your mind. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.

To get back in topic, as other people have said you don't need to be jacked to do this job. I'm 5'9" 190#. I'm in good shape but far from "jacked" and get by just fine. Small with good technique will get you much farther than big with crap technique and just muscling through lifts. The former is how you end up injured.

One of my old partners was like 5'6" and 115# soaking wet and put a lot of the bugger guys at the agency I worked for to shame. Granted she was also a fitness model and personal trainer and is now a LEO but it just goes to show that you truly don't have to be big to excel in physical jobs.

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
Those are some good points. I knew getting a bachelors would be good, but I didn't want to do it because I really want to get out there and working as soon as possible, but I understand that it's important to have something to fall back on. Something I have learned is that it's never good to rush into something without a backup plan.

I like the idea of majoring in Nursing. From what I've heard BJU has a really good nursing program. I've also heard that it's difficult, but that's probably a good thing.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I think looking into nursing would be a good idea for a degree route. You can still get into EMS as a medic if you are an RN, but having that in your pocket opens more doors for you. You have it if an injury ever sidelines you from EMS, you need a job that pays better, or you could get into HEMS as a flight nurse and work prehospital while getting paid better to do it.

As far as the physical side, you don't need to be jacked. That being said, people tend to put on some pounds in this job. Fast food, lack of exercise, poor sleep habits, etc take their toll. Workout a few days a week and eat right, you won't have any problems then.

I agree with this. Especially if your parents are going to be able to pay for your education, a BSN allows you to do EMS, but also allows you to work in almost any other flavor of healthcare (ED, ICU, fly in a helicopter, pediatrics, general medicine, surgery, home care, whatever you want). You can also go back to school to become a CRNA or nurse practitioner. And if you decide one day that clinical medicine isn't your thing, you can work in administration or for insurance companies in an office.

I don't know if it would be possible to take your EMT course before going to college, but that would allow you to get your feet wet before deciding and hopefully allow you to possibly work part time or volunteer while you're in school. The tech school near my job had a summer EMT course for high schoolers that was 3 months long, that could be something to think about.

OP
OP
Chuckleface

Chuckleface

Forum Probie
I agree with this. Especially if your parents are going to be able to pay for your education, a BSN allows you to do EMS, but also allows you to work in almost any other flavor of healthcare (ED, ICU, fly in a helicopter, pediatrics, general medicine, surgery, home care, whatever you want). You can also go back to school to become a CRNA or nurse practitioner. And if you decide one day that clinical medicine isn't your thing, you can work in administration or for insurance companies in an office.

I don't know if it would be possible to take your EMT course before going to college, but that would allow you to get your feet wet before deciding and hopefully allow you to possibly work part time or volunteer while you're in school. The tech school near my job had a summer EMT course for high schoolers that was 3 months long, that could be something to think about.
I'm not sure what my local technical college offers as far as high schoolers go, but I'd really like to get my EMT-B before going to college, but that may not be a possibility. I'll look into it though. I'll also sign up for that standard first aid, CPR, and AED course at the hospital. It's not much, but it's something.