PHRN transfer to EMT-P in other states?

RegMurse12

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,
I was referred to this forum from allnurses.com. I'm a PICU nurse and volunteer EMT-B in PA and I'm in the process of getting my Prehospital RN here. I'm currently looking at other PICU/NICU/Pedi ED jobs in PA and TX. If I end up moving to Texas, do you know if I would be able to get my PHRN certification transferred to a paramedic license in Texas. I have an EMT-B license in Texas right now. I don't want all that time/work going into the PHRN exam to go to waste. I'm really just trying to use my license to do more volunteer work at an ALS level.

Thanks!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't know about Texas in particular, but I've never heard of a place that will automatically transfer an RN to Paramedic. You could take an RN-Medic bridge course, which should be fairly painless.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
OP
OP
R

RegMurse12

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for replying Chaz.
A little more background on the PHRN certificate...we are required to take the NREMT Paramedic assessment exam to receive certification and licensure. Do you think reciprocity would occur with that in mind?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't know about Texas in particular, but I've never heard of a place that will automatically transfer an RN to Paramedic. You could take an RN-Medic bridge course, which should be fairly painless.

Some states do allow this. Its not national that I am aware of but a state to state basis. How I feel about it is a whole other topic ;)

reaper

Working Bum
If FL an Rn can challenge the state exam, as long as they have their EMT-B. Tx may be same way. Call the state board and ask.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
A little more background on the PHRN certificate...we are required to take the NREMT Paramedic assessment exam to receive certification and licensure. Do you think reciprocity would occur with that in mind?

Hopfully a TX FPC or CCEMT-P (someone from flight) see's this because they might have more information. Check that email I sent above, goodluck

OP
OP
R

RegMurse12

Forum Ride Along
Some states do allow this. Its not national that I am aware of but a state to state basis. How I feel about it is a whole other topic ;)

Thanks everyone. Schulz, I just emailed the board...I'll let y'all know what they say.
And yes, I understand the conflicting feelings of PHRNs on the street. PA has some loopholes for PHRNs to do an EMT-P's job without holding them to quite the same initial standard, but I feel pretty confident in my skills to keep my patients safe (not come across cocky or anything...).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Thanks everyone. Schulz, I just emailed the board...I'll let y'all know what they say.
And yes, I understand the conflicting feelings of PHRNs on the street.

Its not so much that as the old expression "its a two way road" There are plenty of degree baring CCEMT-P's or FPC's who might like to challenge the RN exam ;-)

Either way I wish you luck

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I know for a fact that a CA medic can transfer to Texas, Minnesota, and Nevada by simply having their NREMT-P. You said you took the NREMT-P practical exam. Is there any way for you to get your NREMT-P?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Creighton University has a two week RN-Paramedic course but it requires 2 years of ICU experience, not sure if PICU/NICU qualifies or if you need Adult ICU as well.

http://ems.creighton.edu/training-certification/paramedic-certification-healthcare-providers-0

Some community college AAS paramedic programs will credit you for your ADN/BSN and just make you take the paramedic specific classes and clinical.

I know a few states allow direct challenge but I don't remember which ones.

Good luck with everything and don't get discouraged if you encounter some resistance, this topic tends to turn into a heated debate. I am considering getting my PHRN/Medic in the future.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I referred him over here.

Do you take and pass both the written and practical NR Paramedic exam? If so, shouldn't that be enough for any NR state?

Summit

Critical Crazy

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Haven't you been a staunch defender of the shake-and-bake schools? ^_^

Uh, quite sure in my years on this forum I have never been a defender of such, never advocated as such, and don't really know where you came up with that.

Mind guiding me with a direct link some place? Clearly someone's been hacking my account.

OP
OP
R

RegMurse12

Forum Ride Along

Do you take and pass both the written and practical NR Paramedic exam? If so, shouldn't that be enough for any NR state?

Actually, what's interesting (and highly debated...rightfully so) is that the PHRN only requires the NREMT Paramedic Assessment exam. The skills testing is not required.

I'm not looking for an information/arguments about that because I'm very well aware of the mixed opinions that come with this. My chief is allowing me to do some extensive precepting so that I'm comfortable before I go out and practice on my own.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Take the Paramedic school in the state you move to. Problem solved.

Thank you.

You want to play in our sandbox then go to paramedic school.

How many RNs freak when they hear about medics taking bridge courses then the NCLEX.

:rolleyes:

Sorry not trying to be an *** but I'm sick of nurses complaining about medics infringing on their jobs (Trauma Tech vs RN in my area particularly) then wanting to come work in the prehospital environment. It's a double standard and to be frank, is bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

No.

They don't teach RNs to manage scenes or delegate, they are taught to be delegated to :p

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Thank you.

You want to play in our sandbox then go to paramedic school.

How many RNs freak when they hear about medics taking bridge courses then the NCLEX.

:rolleyes:

Sorry not trying to be an *** but I'm sick of nurses complaining about medics infringing on their jobs (Trauma Tech vs RN in my area particularly) then wanting to come work in the prehospital environment. It's a double standard and to be frank, is bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

I really did not want to get into it, especially not with you Rob, but come on...

Firs off I have never liked the idea of just challenging the paramedic exam. The PHRN involves classroom education as well as clinicals with a set number of supervised ALS runs. They are also required to take all the paramedic exams (At least in IL). It is more of a bridge process.

I agree there is a double standard which is unfortunate for medics. But what is EMS doing about it? Do you think current paramedic education is adequate? Is there any plans to improve educational standards? There are plenty of countries where EMS and Nursing education is equal. How is EMS's lobbying power? Kind of hard to talk tough when you have teenagers doing the job and a large percentage of medics who are only in it for that fire department job.

I can see no reason to sit through a 600 hour class taught at a high school level when I have already spent 4 years in college. I know that sounds condescending and arrogant but it is what it is. Do I think I could go out on the streets today with no extra education and function as a medic? Absolutely not. But do I think I need to go through an entire medic program to get what I need? Nope.

No.

They don't teach RNs to manage scenes or delegate, they are taught to be delegated to :p

You are kidding, right? I can guarantee you nursing programs go over the topic of delegation way more than any paramedic program. Pick up an NCLEX review book and there will be multiple chapters dedicated solely to the topic of delegation.

Oh I forgot that I just take orders from a MD and do nothing except get delegated to. Well, at least they pay me good for it.

As far as scene management they are required to take an EMT-Basic course. How much of scene management did you learn in class as opposed to actual doing it in the field?

Last edited by a moderator: