Photograph of Fire Helmet Cam Needed for JEMS!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I'm down to a critical deadline for an article that I wrote that will be published in the July issue of JEMS magazine. I was supposed to receive a fire helmet cam from the manufacture a couple of days ago so I could photograph the camera for the article. For what ever reason, the manufacture has not sent the camera as promised (won't return my calls either).

If you have one of these cameras or know someone who does and can obtain a good high quality digital image of the camera on the helmet, please contact me ASAP! If we use the photograph in the article, the photographer will receive a credit line in the magazine and be paid by JEMS for the use of the photograph.

Again, please PM me here if you might have something for us to use. My deadline is tomorrow (Monday, June 9th).

Thanks!

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Okay, thanks to those who inquired. I have received a brand new helmet cam from the manufacture to photograph for my article in next month's JEMS.

Again, thanks for all the help!

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
Sweet, I can't wait to read it.

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
The article came out in this month's JEMS magazine (July 2008) titled "At the Push of a Button".

Thanks!

Ray

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The article came out in this month's JEMS magazine (July 2008) titled "At the Push of a Button".

Thanks!

Ray

I want to compliment you on an excellent article. After reading it, I showed it to my supervisor (who for some reason, doesnt read JEMS). Because of the article, he started drafting a photo policy. Kudos on a great read!

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear the article was of value to you. Keep me posted as to the development of your policy, numerous fire and EMS agencies have contacted me looking for samples.

Again, thanks!

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
Damn, I need to vist my ex and pick up my mail.

Cool site BTW, good photos.. that burned and hour or so.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Not to detract from the topic (this may be appropriate for a separate discussion), but as you discuss in the article, police dash-mounted cameras have played a role in criminal investigations (both to benefit and hurt LEOs), but what role do you see "DriveCam" systems installed in ambulances?

These cameras automatically record a few seconds before or after a collision, but also can be triggered by pushing a button. When installed correctly under the rear-view mirror (and not tampered with), once camera faces forward, and another back (towards the cab, with the patient care area visible).

The recorded video can be reviewed by the company (ostensibly for vehicle crash review), but in many cases, crews trigger the camera when they want to record something happening outside.

What is the control over the video and images captured? What role does the camera play if it documents patient care (or the lack thereof), patient identity, etc.?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I know this has been discussed at other times, I just wanted to bring it up again under a different frame.

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
Our rigs do have cameras in it, and they capture audio.
One on the driver, one in the back, and a couple outside in the front and back.

They are more for keeping an eye on us.

-Wheres my tin foil hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Not to detract from the topic (this may be appropriate for a separate discussion), but as you discuss in the article, police dash-mounted cameras have played a role in criminal investigations (both to benefit and hurt LEOs), but what role do you see "DriveCam" systems installed in ambulances?

These cameras automatically record a few seconds before or after a collision, but also can be triggered by pushing a button. When installed correctly under the rear-view mirror (and not tampered with), once camera faces forward, and another back (towards the cab, with the patient care area visible).

The recorded video can be reviewed by the company (ostensibly for vehicle crash review), but in many cases, crews trigger the camera when they want to record something happening outside.

What is the control over the video and images captured? What role does the camera play if it documents patient care (or the lack thereof), patient identity, etc.?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I know this has been discussed at other times, I just wanted to bring it up again under a different frame.

And you bring up some good questions as well. As far as the role of "DriveCams", I see them as a positive tool for EMS. As a matter of fact, I see any image recording device as a positive tool as long as proper controls are in place as to image protection and dissemination. It is the failure or absence of these policy controls that promotes trouble as I documented in the three cases of my article.

So even with DashCams, EMS providers should incorporate policy as to the proper processing, security and potential dissemination of the images. This of course would be paramount should patient images be captured.

Any images of patients with these devices, for what ever reason, would be a part of the patient record and considered PHI under HIPAA rules. The image file should be cataloged and referenced to the PCR number. Again, image protection is vital and should be spelled out in policy.

Images shot from the cab back to the patient compartment may not always show a "full face" image of the patient as defined in HIPAA. I photograph many medic / patient interaction images from just adjacent to the captain's seat. If the patient is supine and I suspect I may not get a signed release (drunks, druggies, etc.), I drop down a bit so more of the top of the patient's head is seen and not a full face image. Tats and other identifying features I remove in post production.