Phoenix FD PAs

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I was recently told that Phoenix FD is putting a handful of Physician Assistants on ambulances or fly cars, but I've been unable to find anything confirming this. Does anybody have any insight on if this is accurate, and if so, information on the program and their utilization?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I am not from pheonix, but my area has just started to do the same thing. Easiest way to see would be to look at the hospitals job listings, because the PA's have to be coming from somewhere and most likely hospitals. This is a rather backhand route, but play detective a bit would be my suggestion.

OP
OP
STXmedic

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Looking up job postings isn't what I had in mind. I'm more interested in their implementation. It's also conceivable that they would be interdepartmental and sent through PA school, which is something my department has thrown around.

Since your area is doing the same, are you familiar with the program? What type of system is it? And what is their role?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm not entirely familiar with the process due to the fact i'm still a student at basic school, but I have a few buddies who are paramedics-cc and flight medics, they seem to think its to reduce stress on the ED, and have somebody in the "field" that can alleviate that stress somewhat. They also mention they try to take PA's from the ED, and put them out since they kind of have a preference to the system already, and then translate people into the vacant positions there. Rather then throwing an oncology(or similar non ER environments) PA out to EMS. THIS IS ALL HEAR SAY FROM MY FRIENDS. I do not want to mislead you or anybody, but this may give you higher education folks a lead in the right direction?

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
I can ask around,I still have some contacts at PFD. I'd imagine it's similar to what Mesa Fire has been doing for a few years now. They send a medic and PA out on low acuity calls and frequent flyers and do a lot of treat and release kind of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk