phillips home defib.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Most AED's are available without a prescription; however one cannot usually turn this in for insurance to pay for it.

R/r 911

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Can he not get an internal defib?

BEorP

Forum Captain
Stick with CPR at home. It is more likely that the patient will be in a non-shockable rhythm at home than out in the public.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The product has been on the market for about two years now. They just came out with a study that found that purchase home AEDs had no improvement in survivability for most cardiac patients.

reaper

Working Bum
The product has been on the market for about two years now. They just came out with a study that found that purchase home AEDs had no improvement in survivability for most cardiac patients.

I have to call BS on a study that states that! PAD's are proven to increase survivability rates. So how can an AED at your home not help improve it??

I don't see a lot of people running out and buying one. But, if you are high risk and have had multiple MI's already, then I would invest in one.

Why does EMD give CPR instruction over the phone? Early defib is proven to increase survivability.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Boston EMS reports amazing increase in survival and neuro status post field SCA when there was a PAD and layperson CPR-- the number of patients who leave the hospital with little or no neuro deficits jumps from 1% (with only fire/ems response) to 90-some-odd (very small sample), with witnessed and bystander CPR/AED. I dont know about homes, though.
Above comes from Dr. Peter Moyer of BostonEMS.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Stick with CPR at home. It is more likely that the patient will be in a non-shockable rhythm at home than out in the public.

Im going throw the flag out on that one.

I doubt it is more likely they will go into PEA or asystole vs. v tach or v fib. But even taking what you say is true, would it not be better to have the AED anyways, in the "unlikely" event they do go into a shockable rhythm? It can only help.