Pet BLS

zephers

Forum Probie
How many lpm of oxygen would you give a dog or cat(whatever the reason) of any size, if you needed too?

8jimi8

CFRN
how would you determine that they need O2 anyway? mucous membranes ? lol

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Why exactly would you be giving a pet oxygen?

aidan

Forum Crew Member
I don't see any effective means by which any of the artificial O2 supply devices we use could work on dogs: the best thing that an EMT can do is provide mouth to snout CPR. Clear the mouth of any obstructions with a finger sweep, just like in people. Close the mouth, extend the head back (so the neck is straight) and breathe into the nose until chest rises adequately. Release grip of the mouth so the dog can exhale.

No pulse = put the dog on it's right side and start compressions. The amount needed to press down will depend on the size of the dog. Generally 3-4 inches for the bigger dogs, less for smaller ones. Try not to break ribs obviously. Compressions:breath ratio will be 10:1. 10 compressions per 1 breath. Getting to the vet fast enough is gonna be the key.

I have no idea on how to help a cat. We were taught CPR for dogs because while responding to scenes where police dogs may be present, they can sometimes get hurt and need help too.

medic417

The Truth Provider
They do sell pet O2 masks. But we do not carry them nor do we work on pets. If you need them talk to a vet to get the info required so you can help them rather than harm them.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not to veer very far off topic but...

Aidan! I haven't seen you around in forever! Where have you been? :p

I don't see how a little blow by O2 for the familie's pet would be a bad thing. Makes them believe you care and did everything you could for their doggie or kitty, for some people animals ARE family.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to veer very far off topic but...

Aidan! I haven't seen you around in forever! Where have you been? :p

I don't see how a little blow by O2 for the familie's pet would be a bad thing. Makes them believe you care and did everything you could for their doggie or kitty, for some people animals ARE family.

Exactly Sasha!! And as discussed in previous threads, we do not do "show codes" so why is it any different with this "family member"?

RMSP05

Forum Probie

I would do anything i could for a dog or a cat. To most people they are just another member of the family. It will make you and your service look good, just as you get bad headlines for the stupid things that happen, you can get the good ones. "Local EMT's try and save family's dog after fire" It would make a huge difference to the family for you trying, no matter what the outcome is. Just go back to your basics.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't.

I would say, "Your animal died", and then allow them to begin the grieving process. I might let the crying 5 year old hold her charred kittie's body to finalize it all, but that's about it. My services do not extend beyond that.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Exactly Sasha!! And as discussed in previous threads, we do not do "show codes" so why is it any different with this "family member"?

If the animal is dead, then by all means. If the animal is NOT dead, a little blow by wouldn't hurt.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Except for your piggies...they get the whole enchilada. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Except for your piggies...they get the whole enchilada. :)

Haha. My piggies would never be caught in a fire. They're cowards. They'd be out the door faster than me!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I see nothing wrong with putting a Pedi NRB nearby the mouth and snout of a dog at a fire scene-- it could only help. This is, of course, only after we have suffeciently taken care of any humans on scene.

Juxel

Forum Crew Member
I actually transported a police dog that was shot once. We were second truck in on a police involved shooting. The first truck took the victim that police shot multiple times. We arrived for an officer shot to find the canine handler with a grazing wound from a bullet. He asked us to take the dog (at this point they were already on the phone with the University Vet Hospital).

We loaded the dog up, intubated him and had a vet walking me through IV start locations. Our supervisor only allowed us to transport Code 2, but it was a quick code 2 as PD raced ahead of us to control intersections.

The dog actually lived, but had to retire from police work. It was quite the experience.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I actually transported a police dog that was shot once. We were second truck in on a police involved shooting. The first truck took the victim that police shot multiple times. We arrived for an officer shot to find the canine handler with a grazing wound from a bullet. He asked us to take the dog (at this point they were already on the phone with the University Vet Hospital).

We loaded the dog up, intubated him and had a vet walking me through IV start locations. Our supervisor only allowed us to transport Code 2, but it was a quick code 2 as PD raced ahead of us to control intersections.

The dog actually lived, but had to retire from police work. It was quite the experience.

Haha that's quite impressive.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Here's what I don't get from the Doggy CPR Crowd. So you're gonna do CPR and then do what? CPR is terrible at getting ROSC. Shave the poor dog until you can attach an AED or manual defib?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The CPR is meant to keep blood perfusing until you can get to a vet who knows how to defib. Where do the paddles go? What charge?