per diem?

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
Just a question for the masses. How has per diem worked out for you? If you are working it crrently or have in the past?

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Per diem is only fine if you don't need to work much..

OP
OP
A

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
So how does your system work? For me I basically set my own schedule and work as many or few hours. Of course there are no benefits and I'm gonna jump on fulltime the second I can. I know some places will call you when they need you.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So how does your system work? For me I basically set my own schedule and work as many or few hours. Of course there are no benefits and I'm gonna jump on fulltime the second I can. I know some places will call you when they need you.

I only have to work 3 shifts a month minimum. There're no set days I work, I pick and choose when and where I want to work. It comes in handy if you're going through school. You can also choose to work more than 3 shifts a month, which is what I'm doing since I'm not in school (for now). I typically average about 2 shifts per week. Sometimes I work more hours than the full time employees.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Per diem was great when I was in college. I picked up shifts as I wanted. Sometimes I worked once every two weeks, sometimes I worked five days a week.

Per diem isn't ideal when it's your primary source of income and you want consistency. I often had new partners, different equipment, and crazy shift start and stop times.