Pennsylvania EMS

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
There's a possibility I might be moving to PA, but I know almost nothing about their EMS system.

Was curious what any PA people thought about their companies and the system as a whole. I'll be locating to the Philadelphia area, but I'm really open to anything that seems like a good opportunity.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
What do you want to do? If you want to do transport, there's a lot of options.

FiremanMike

EMS Coordinator
If you're interested in HEMS, STAT MedEvac is on the west side of the state and they are pretty highly regarded..

Iambatman

Forum Probie
Pennsylvania EMS is a hodge podge of EMS. Philly is Fire based, as is Reading PA. Allentown and Bethlehem are city departments. Everything else is pretty much 3rd party non-profits.

NomadicMedic

Pot or Kettle? Unsure.
Pennsylvania EMS is a hodge podge of EMS. Philly is Fire based, as is Reading PA. Allentown and Bethlehem are city departments. Everything else is pretty much 3rd party non-profits.

This totally depends on where you go. In my area, there’s a mix of hospital based chase trucks, hospital based. MICUs, non profits, for profits, Fire based and IFT only.

Do LOTS of research before accepting a position. And you no longer need to be affiliated with an agency to get reciprocity, or as we call it in PA, certification by endorsement.

The big thing you need to remember when moving here is you’ll need background checks and a form showing your certification is in good standing. The certification verification form is completed by mail and once YOU send it to your state’s EMS office, you‘ll never touch it again. It’s mailed to the Bureau of EMS and it’s the biggest holdup in certification reciprocity.

…and yes, I work in a regional EMS office.