Pediatric Drownings

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We have been having a rash of Pediatric Fresh Water drownings as of late. With the heat wave on, and temps reaching 116 (heat index) everyone is seeking a way to cool off.

A week ago my partner and I had a 6 yo F, seizure history, found at the bottom of a hotel swimming pool.

Three days ago a 20 month old was found in the "kiddie pool" in their back yard.

Two days ago 1 year old was pulled from the neighbors pool.

Today, my roommate called me and told me she ran a 2 year old.

Starting to suck a little. The tones go off and you can almost feel the breath be held in the room, waiting for the "Delta response for a drowning" to come out. Kind of frustrating too....these are babies that shouldn't be out of their parents site, let alone in the neighbors pool, or in their pools alone.

I KNOW its impossible to watch your child every single second of the day. But when you a swimming pool, you have to be that much more diligent. I have a pool. My son is 9, and a decent swimmer. I still have the screen doors to the pool locked, and the keys are on my car keys ring and my roommates car keys ring. I am less worried about my son drowning (he has a healthy sense of what might hurt him) than I am about the neighbors kid getting in while we are gone from the house for 48 hrs at a time.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Wow thats horrible...I'm really sorry

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A pediatric drowning was always one of my EMS fears.

The parental unit moved into a house with a small built-in pool. Once the grandkids came they had the pool removed and turned it into a double backyard. Having a pool is great, but you really have to be diligent about safety.

netcarepara

Forum Ride Along
Paediatric drownings and trauma calls are my worst nightmare, and I hope that you keep it where it is as your "work", though we do love this work. Don't get it too personal it'll eat you up.
!!! What you could possibly do in your area is try doing some kind of awareness to water safety and let all people parents and siblings know the risks and how to prevent an emergency!!!:excl:.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We worked a 3 year old little girl last Tuesday that drowned as well. Parents did not notice her missing for a while, found submerged in the pool, of course the outcome was tragic.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It is unfortuate to see that many that are classified as "near-drownings" are now permanent residents of pediatric sub-acutes. Unfortunately Florida and many other warm water states have a large number of pedi sub-acute facilities. The families may have nightmares and guilt but some will have a "living" reminder. Many families relinguish custody to the state and try to walk away.

After seeing the children that go to these facilities, my definition of "near-drowning" has changed. Near-drowning, by my definition, is when you get out of the pool, cough up the water and jump back in for more play. Many of those that are labeled as "near-drowned" actually drowned and now only exist in a state run warehouse. A heartbeat is not always a save unfortunately.

Pablo the Pirate

Forum Crew Member
ok so last night i read this post and thought wow that really sucks and maybe some cisd should be goin on. but i must have been thinkin about it alot more than that cuz i had the most horrible dream last night. i have a 4yo and a 4month old. and i dreamt that my 4month drowned. then i couldnt get back to sleep. for once i was actually happy she woke up at 430 in the morning. i just hugged her. i know she was probably like "mom i'm hungry just feed me so i can go back to sleep." but i couldn't help it. drownings just hit to close to home for me. i did know a little 3yo that drowned and it was one of the worst experiences for me. plus its like the most preventable accidents that happen.

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
Ya know we have also had a rash of serious pedi calls the last couple of weeks. Everything from drowning, to codes, car accidents, to abuse. Its really starting to wear on a few of the guys.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
why has everyone had to bring up pedi calls??? you guys must have jinxed me. today alone i have had 2 Pedi respiratory arrest calls. Luckily dad is a navy corpman on furlow and got them breathing again. But both calls were at the same house for both of his twins (they each tried it once.)

Both babies are doing well now.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I took a course on homicidal drowning investigations. They covered a lot of these types of cases. I don't have time to type right now, but I'll just say that >20% of drownings are actually homicides.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
For all of us that have our kids, let me tell you, I thank the good Lord every day that my kids are healthy and well........-_-