Pay differential

Jim jones

Forum Ride Along
Does anybody else get paid a different hourly rate for working in a rural setting versus in a busy city for the same company. The key part of this for me is for the same company.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
We would get $1.50 less per hour when working the rural areas. Bur that was changed to try to get medics to work the rural areas. Now everyone gets the same wage.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
In Australia, most jurisdictions offer very generous allowances and assistance when posted to rural areas; meal allowance, rent assistance, provided accommodation, pay your internet etc ....

On-call Officers are paid an allowance for on-call time and recall is paid at 1.5 or 2x plus any applicable penalties; for example, if you get recalled on a Sunday at 1 am which is also a public holiday you're looking at making about $300 an hour ... minimum pay for a recall is a couple of hours or actual greater.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
sort of....

we get paid one rate if you are assigned to work 8 hour day shift, another rate for 12 hour shift, and a third if you are assigned 24s. the kicker? you make (almost) the same amount every week, regardless of which pay scale you are at. The other kicker? if you are regularly working 24s, and you pick up OT on a 12 hour truck, or 8 hours in an office, you get time and a half at your lower 24 hour pay rate.

Most of our 24s are in the rural areas, but the county is working on transitioning everyone to 12s because of call volumes. Also, our typically slower rural areas can be sucked into the busier areas if they transport to the hospital and are deemed "closest unit" for the next call

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Similar to what DrParasite has to say.
My company officers 3 pay rates: 8/10, 12, and 24/48. The hourly rate goes down the longer your shift. This is to keep everyone balance on an annual basis.

The benefit, is that the longer your shift, the more days off you have, which allows for more OT. Unlike the Doc, when you pickup a shift, you earn the pay rate for that length of shift, so if I pick up an 8 hour, I earn the lucrative 8 hour pay.

If you work a 48H shift where I work, you have 8 consecutive days off every 3 weeks. This allows for a massive amount of overtime. I make nearly double my base annual salary by picking up OT on my 48H schedule

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
$1 Weekend
$1 Nights
$1 Special Event/Standby (This is new)
So a Weekend night is +2
If any part of your shift happens at night (after 1800) or on a weekend (between 0000 Friday and 0600 Monday) you get the whole shift paid at the higher rate