Patients Plus - Alameda County

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone, does anyone know anything about Patients Plus out of alameda county? I'm assuming that they do IFTs under the same company as Paramedics Plus, but does anyone have any other info? I was hoping to apply for Paramedics Plus someday and I was wondering if it was worth applying to Patients Plus first?

TriednTrue

Forum Crew Member
Heard rumors about this a couple months back, had no idea they were actually going to put it into action.

Would like some more info as well if anyone has it.

And only advice I can give is to go for it if you don't have another gig lined up. I know they've hired quite a few EMTs already, PT and FT, had a few friends who got picked up. So who knows when they'll hire again for the 911 side.

waterlizard

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone, does anyone know anything about Patients Plus out of alameda county? I'm assuming that they do IFTs under the same company as Paramedics Plus, but does anyone have any other info? I was hoping to apply for Paramedics Plus someday and I was wondering if it was worth applying to Patients Plus first?

So I don't know too much yet, but I am going for the agility test Friday and have heard some stuff. From what I was told it pays 15.88/hr on a 12hr shift. and it sounds like they will be running 12hr and 9hr shifts. After working for Patients Plus for 6 months you will be able to try and transfer to ALS side. I'm thinking that they will be pulling all EMTs from BLS division to fill ALS division. It is easier to train and everything and P+ is big on promoting within opposed to hiring from the outside. That's why they love hiring EMTs that are in medic school. I also heard that you will be dealing with some ALS stuff and not just doing IFT, someone told me that on 5150 calls you will be dispatched to them along with ALS and if they don't have to go to the hospital to get cleared and can go straight to John George than BLS will be the ones taking them. This is about all I know right now but in my opinion it is worth it to apply, best chance to get over to ALS.

gclol

Forum Crew Member
what time is your agility test on Friday? mine is at 1 and do you have any info on what they might make us do for the test?

waterlizard

Forum Crew Member
what time is your agility test on Friday? mine is at 1 and do you have any info on what they might make us do for the test?

Mine is at 9. I know a couple of people that have failed the test (IT IS A BIG DEAL). Don't know everything they do but you have to lift a back board from the ground to the gurney with a 250lb dummy on it. Pretty sure there is a sheet lift in there too. You will have to carry some weights up some stairs and I think you have to do a body drag too. They aren't going to make you run laps or anything. Just keep your back straight and lift with your legs and you should be good.

OP
OP
stemi

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know where their IFT station will be based out of?

If all that is true, it sounds like a great gig. Good luck guys! Hopefully I'll be applying in the near future.

OP
OP
stemi

stemi

Forum Crew Member
waterlizard, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell us about the interview process? Any written test or anything along those lines?

Thanks.

waterlizard

Forum Crew Member
waterlizard, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell us about the interview process? Any written test or anything along those lines?

Thanks.

Ok, so while you wait in the lobby they ask you to write why you got into ems. After that you get pulled into a office and you basically sit next to this guys desk and he asks you pretty basic interview questions and again asks why you got into ems. After that you do your skills test which for me was airway (EASY!) and after that you do your written test on the computer. Very close to NREMT lots of trauma, scene safety, and diabetic questions, only 50 questions. That's it I was sent to get a drug test after that not sure if they do that for everybody. I got a call back in a week to set up the agility test.

HockeyFan62

Forum Probie
Hello everyone my name is steven. I am from Modesto, CA and am new to this forum.

Thank you waterlizard on the information you have provided. I also have my physical agility test friday morning at 9. Is the rest of the test difficult?

waterlizard

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone my name is steven. I am from Modesto, CA and am new to this forum.

Thank you waterlizard on the information you have provided. I also have my physical agility test friday morning at 9. Is the rest of the test difficult?

I guess we will find out on Friday!

OP
OP
stemi

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Great information guys, thank you everybody for sharing. Good luck on your tests, and if you all wouldn't mind, please share your experiences. I am currently working at PT-1 in santa clara county and might apply to patients plus for better opportunities in the future.

NorCalEMTechB

Forum Ride Along
Great information guys, thank you everybody for sharing. Good luck on your tests, and if you all wouldn't mind, please share your experiences. I am currently working at PT-1 in santa clara county and might apply to patients plus for better opportunities in the future.
Have either of you started? Has anyone who has recently (since the implementation of Patients Plus BLS) interviewed/tested been given the okay to join the 911 side instead??? I know they are saying after 6 months with Patients Plus you can transfer, but I am a little iffy about believing that. I tested and interview with their 911 side back in April and never heard back. A couple of my buddies with less experience and education were picked up though...just wondering, thanks!

NorCalEMTechB

Forum Ride Along
I guess we will find out on Friday!
Have either of you started? Has anyone who has recently (since the implementation of Patients Plus BLS) interviewed/tested been given the okay to join the 911 side instead??? I know they are saying after 6 months with Patients Plus you can transfer, but I am a little iffy about believing that. I tested and interview with their 911 side back in April and never heard back. A couple of my buddies with less experience and education were picked up though...just wondering, thanks!

HockeyFan62

Forum Probie
I have not started yet. I was given a invitation to the new hire academy I just have to retake my PAT. Testing was pretty easy. Airway skill and computer based test pretty simple.

NorCalEMTechB

Forum Ride Along
So only offered job for Patients Plus? Yeah I went thru the proceed in April but was never called or responded to after multiple attempts (mainly just so I could
Improve for the next time). I am so tired of transport BLS

gclol

Forum Crew Member
They said you could transfer to als after 6 month of there is an opening and they might consider having new hires go bls first then move to als so they get more experience before going up, amr did the samething

NorCalEMTechB

Forum Ride Along
They said you could transfer to als after 6 month of there is an opening and they might consider having new hires go bls first then move to als so they get more experience before going up, amr did the samething

copy that. I have 3 years transport experience so not sure how 6 more months of it translates to the 911 side and being a better fit. seems like it just makes it worse going from a nonchalant transport to 911 code 3 returns...sorry for my rant, just want to work 911 and haven't been able to for 3 years. I do think Patients Plus has a better shot of transferring to 911 in 6 months compared to Rural Metro's BLS going to their 911.

HockeyFan62

Forum Probie
For the guys that have gone through the new hire academy what are you supposed to bring the first day? I'm going through the next one. They didn't really say what to bring.