Patient’s name in your narrative?

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
Sup guys,

Is it ok to write a patient’s full name in your PCR narrative? My partner does that and I’ve never seen that before. For ex., he’d write “dispatched to transport 45 yo male named John Doe...” and continues to address patient using their last name.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I just say Patient. We have the option to print out our charts as "Blackout" copies which removes the demographics/PHI so we can use them for training, data collection, etc. If you use the patient's name in your HPI or narrative then you have to go back and make sure all of that is blacked-out which is a hassle and may be missed.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
ehhh. if he does it, great. if not, great. people have their quirks, and that seems to be his. to each his or her own.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Why? It's already in the PCR and putting it in the narrative is just redundant information with no purpose. It's like documenting that you started an IV under the treatment section then putting in your narrative that an IV was established. The info is already documented in the PCR, no real reason to put it in your narrative.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
It’s not wrong, its just pointless and might someday be deleterious if someone pulls a chart for training and doesn’t see the name in the narrative.