Passed the EMT-B Practical, Now what

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
Well I am pretty excited right about now. All of the studying really paid off. I passed every station on my fist attempt. So my official results are not yet posted on the NREMT website. I assume it will take a business day or 2 to get that updated. Once that is updated, do I apply to take the written test through the NREMT, or through pearson vue? So if I do pass the written test... how long will it take to get a license through the state? I live right on the border between MN and ND and I would be willing to commute 2ish hours. Should I apply for jobs and then apply for a license in whatever state I get a job in?

Also, I am a senior in high school on track to graduate. I am not sure if not having a diploma would disqualify me from most ems services. And I am not sure the best way to go about working while a high school student as well. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks everyone.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You need to take your written test first. Then apply for your EMT in whichever state you decide you want to work in. Then you can apply for a job. Being a high school senior you would do better to concentrate on school and work as an EMT after you graduate. Most places will not want to hire someone who is still in high school. You could consider looking into local volunteer opportunities while you wait to graduate, once you have your EMT.

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
Congrats! As luke_31 said:
  1. Written test
  2. Apply for your state EMT license after you pass the written
  3. Get hired or volunteer
  4. ?????profit?????

Loshi

Forum Probie
I'm in CA, I just went through all this and this is what I had to do and about how much everything cost.
1. NREMT ($70)
2. Apply for Local agency/ sate agency once you pass NREMT ($~90)
3. Livescan (use the live scan paper from DMV not EMT live scan.. I made this mistake.) ($50-60)
4. Get a physical for Medical Examiners Certificate (also online use DMV forms some hospitals have it) ($however much a physical is for you)
5. Study for Ambulance drivers certificate (DMV book is $5)
6. Take National reg certificate, live scan, and Examiners certificate to DMV and take the Ambulance Drivers Certificate test ($~25)
7. Apply and wait...