Part-time EMT and full-time student?

mulana

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I've been volunteering as an EMT-B at my local squad (in NJ) for over a year now and absolutely love it. I am a senior in high school and will be going to college next year, so I am wondering how feasible attending college and working as a paid EMT would be during my freshman year. Has anyone here done this? Considering I will have had 2 years of experience by then with a number of certs that were required by my squad (PEPP, PHTLS, CEVO) do you think I would have a good shot at finding employment in the NJ/PA area? If so, what would be an estimated starting pay? Thanks!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
depending on where in NJ you are going to college.... different places pay different rates. It's very easy to be a part time EMT while being a full time student.

Drax

Forum Captain
Hi,
I've been volunteering as an EMT-B at my local squad (in NJ) for over a year now and absolutely love it. I am a senior in high school and will be going to college next year, so I am wondering how feasible attending college and working as a paid EMT would be during my freshman year. Has anyone here done this? Considering I will have had 2 years of experience by then with a number of certs that were required by my squad (PEPP, PHTLS, CEVO) do you think I would have a good shot at finding employment in the NJ/PA area? If so, what would be an estimated starting pay? Thanks!

As far as entry level positions go (and as a disclaimer I'm not from the East coast), I would peg you as a top level quality candidate-provided you can swimmingly move through an application process. Are you pursuing a degree in an EMS related field?

OP
OP
M

mulana

Forum Ride Along
As far as entry level positions go (and as a disclaimer I'm not from the East coast), I would peg you as a top level quality candidate-provided you can swimmingly move through an application process. Are you pursuing a degree in an EMS related field?
Thanks for the response. I will be taking a gap year before undergrad to go to paramedic school, and possibly work full time for another year to get experience. If everything works out as I plan, I will work as a per diem paramedic throughout college to help pay for tuition. Do you know if I will be able to find an EMT-B job without any experience driving an ambulance? I have CEVO but my agency won't allow me to drive until I'm 19. Thanks!

Drax

Forum Captain
Thanks for the response. I will be taking a gap year before undergrad to go to paramedic school, and possibly work full time for another year to get experience. If everything works out as I plan, I will work as a per diem paramedic throughout college to help pay for tuition. Do you know if I will be able to find an EMT-B job without any experience driving an ambulance? I have CEVO but my agency won't allow me to drive until I'm 19. Thanks!
No, it is typical to not have experience driving an ambulance as entry level, you'll go through all that in orientation and you may even have to take a driving course again at that time. I had CEVO but then my agency wanted EVIP.