Paramedics working in a hospital

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Looking to get into medic school soon but I want to weigh out my options with a paramedic degree, I know the majority of medics become firefighters but I don't feel like that would be for me. So my question is, has anyone worked in a ER or other healthcare fields being a medic? If so, could you explain the work setting and salary?
Kind Regards

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Looking to get into medic school soon but I want to weigh out my options with a paramedic degree, I know the majority of medics become firefighters but I don't feel like that would be for me. So my question is, has anyone worked in a ER or other healthcare fields being a medic? If so, could you explain the work setting and salary?
Kind Regards

US Army: As a married E4 68W (approximately 2-4 years of service in), you'd be looking at a take-home of approximately $40k/year, before taxes and factoring in housing allowances. As a 68W, you'll work as a line medic, in a TMC, a hospital, and be the best janitor on the face of the Earth. If you're a healthy, hale, and hearty individual, I recommend it for the young folks. If you're a male, you'll likely get the chance to travel to exciting Middle Eastern locales and get shot at. Females too, to a lesser extent.

Cons: Literally no consistency, your leadership may or may not have a clue, and competence is iffy. Some units are good, others are not. But you'll be pretty well compensated for the BS and such.

Pros: US Army. Even when it's bad, it's not that bad.

CCNRMedic1982

Forum Probie
Army Medic 10 yrs. what the other post said excep, talk to your recruiter.

Have been a civilian Medic for 5 years and have worked on the ambulance and in the ED. I made about the same doing both. 34-36,000 before OT. Look to see what the scope is for paramedics in the ED For some places it's different. Whether you function completely as if you were on the truck or have restrictions you are essentially a nursing assistant that can do some cool stuff. Again only worked in one ED so ask around.