Paramedics targeted while saving lives

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Found on FB

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=9271731

Chicago emergency personnel are being assaulted on the job and first responders say it's getting worse.

You could hardly blame paramedics if they felt some paranoia on every call. First responders tell the I-Team that at least once a day in the City of Chicago, paramedics trying to save lives, end up fighting to stay alive.

Time for DTEMS to visit Chicago?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Wow.
Something needs to be done about this.

MedventDan

Forum Ride Along
Police cruisers should be sent alongside ambulances to make sure paramedics don't get attacked.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Police cruisers should be sent alongside ambulances to make sure paramedics don't get attacked.

Serious or sarcastic? This is neither feasible, reasonable, necessary, or even financially possible for 99% of EMS calls.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
back at home, unless its is a nursing home call, pd responds
in the suburbs, sure, but doesn't happen in the inner cities

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I see these kinds of incidents happening more and more frequently in my area. I think it speaks to the shifting cultural norms that result from increasing poverty rates and wide spread drug use. There is also simply a lack of respect and understanding from the general public, which isn't helped by the way EMS is portrayed by Hollywood.

It's sad that good people are trying to help those in need and are being targeted.

During a call the last thing you need is to have to look over your shoulder on the way in or when you are working on someone.

Be careful people!