Paramedics in Michigan

bigdude

Forum Probie
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I have a couple questions regarding the paramedic profession. I am in the middle of a career change from engineer→PA. I completed all my pre-requisites for PA school except the experience requirement. In order to fulfill that, I have limited my choices to either Respiratory Therapy or Paramedic. The community college near my house (Oakland Community College-In Oakland County Michigan) offers both. And I think they are both great choices. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a lot of information regarding the Paramedic profession. From what I have learned it seems that a licensed paramedic can also work in a clinic or hospital emergency department, correct? What kind of things/procedures are licensed paramedics able to do? Lastly, can anyone comment on the job opportunities for new grads?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ah, good ol OCC.

Now, what do you want to do?

RT is specialized in respiratory care. Does that interest you? Or would you rather be more generalized in your medicine, ala Paramedic?

Now, it's been a few years since I lived in Lake Orion, but I remember some places around there being fire-based EMS, with some privates around there as well. It would probably take you a while to get on with a fre-dept as a medic if that's what you go for. RT, you might be able to find a job faster.

As an RT, you'll generally make more than a medic, which helps, but you should be able to get your medic in a slight bit less time.

As for what you'd be doing in the hospital as a medic... really depends on the hospital. Some places you might be treated like an EMT, not really doing anything but basic patient care. Other places actually distinguish Paramedics from EMTs and give them more they can work with such as doing IVs, giving some meds, etc etc. Some places allow EMTs to do the same things.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know people that worked as EMT-Basics to satisfy the PA requirements, and then went on to be PAs.

You can see what EMT-Basics and Paramedics can do by visiting the Oakland County Medical Control's website and looking at the protocols.

I went through OCC's EMT-Basic program years ago and was very satisfied. Some other suggestions for the area are the Waterford EMS Academy and Michigan Academy of EMS.

In Oakland County the EMT-Basic course is traditionally a semester long, and the Paramedic course is usually a year long. You'll need to be an EMT-Basic before you go on to the Paramedic level.

It's challenging to work as an EMT-Basic in Oakland County, as there most cities don't have fire department support, and the ambulance service is the primary responder. Because of that, most 911 calls are dispatched as ALS calls requiring two Paramedics.

There are several private EMS services in the county: Community EMS, Alliance Mobile Health, Star EMS, Concord Ambulance, Superior Ambulance, Huron Valley Ambulance, Beaumont Medical Transportation, and I'm sure a few more.

Many of the hospitals, like Beaumont, will hire EMT-Paramedics to work as ER Techs. The positions usually pay much more than working for a private service, and hiring is very competitive.

Good luck!

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Thank you for the replies. Both professions interest me and are about the same in length, so its a difficult choice. My major concern is finding a job after gradaution.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I was wondering if someone could tell me what the starting pay is for a paramedic (not EMT-B) in the metro-Detroit area? Thanks

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Starting pay at the privates for a Paramedic is anywhere from $12-$15 an hour. I found that when I worked in the area every service paid almost the same.

Hockey

Quackers
Where you looking at working?

I have this stupidly high expectation of getting $15-20 per hour.

Where I am at is only 911, and I get $10.50 per hour as a Medic when I start. No benefits, and limited to 42 hours a week. 24's (don't ask how 42 gets figured out)

I would leave, but I have a gold digger job nearby that pays me too much to even think about leaving

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Where you looking at working?

I have this stupidly high expectation of getting $15-20 per hour.

Where I am at is only 911, and I get $10.50 per hour as a Medic when I start. No benefits, and limited to 42 hours a week. 24's (don't ask how 42 gets figured out)

I would leave, but I have a gold digger job nearby that pays me too much to even think about leaving

Where did you go to EMT-P school? That job sounds crappy.

I don't know where I would work. I currently live in Birmingham. My primary reason for becoming a paramedic is to gain healthcare experience before applying to PA school. But the paramedic option is not looking too good. There does not seem to be a lot of jobs for paramedics and the pay is really low. I was also considering RT school but my math prereq is older than 5 years so I would have to wait until the next application cycle, which I don't want to do (I have a BS in Engineering/minor in math and they want me to take an elementary algebra class :sad:).

In the rare case that I don't get accepted to PA school, I would like whatever path I choose (paramedic, RT, RN) to be able to support me. As a paramedic I would not be able to pay my bills.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
In the rare case that I don't get accepted to PA school, I would like whatever path I choose (paramedic, RT, RN) to be able to support me. As a paramedic I would not be able to pay my bills.

sounds like you answered your own question. Paramedic pay is crappy around here, but there are jobs. Alliance, Superior, Star are hiring for sure. Most other companies will at least take your app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey

Quackers
Hotel, are you familiar with Star? Do you do 911 as a Paramedic or is it mainly IFT? It sounds like Fire does most of the medicals down there

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Hotel, are you familiar with Star? Do you do 911 as a Paramedic or is it mainly IFT? It sounds like Fire does most of the medicals down there

I can't give you a percentage, but they do 911. I'll talk to a buddy who works there and find out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Star, like other privates in the area, does a good mix of 911 and IFT calls. I know several people that work at Star and are happy.