Paramedic vs. RN

villagegirl127

Forum Probie
I am curious to know what the difference is in salaries of a parmedic and an RN? I am starting EMT Basic in a couple of weeks, than working as an EMT until I start paramedic training. I waiver between taking the paramedic classes or going for the RN degree. The paramedic classes are more accomodating than the RN classes, (I am a single mom), and the paramedic class would be paid for by the private ambulance that I work for. Also, there are no prerequisites required for the paramedic program. The RN program is full of prerequisites that will take me 1 year to obtain. Just wondering if anyone faced a similar decision and if they can give me some facts/advice?

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
I would say all in all RN makes more. but many things play into it. Company. experience. benefits. retirement. etc. Im not sure how things work out there this is from what I know out in CA. either one is going to be a blast. good luck!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If your are asking salaries on either, your going into it for the wrong reason. Both of the pay sucks...

As described I know of Paramedics barely making over minimum wages as well as some making more than many RN's. RN's salary maybe more pre hour but with crunches lately, overtime and benefits have dropped drastically as well as decreasing staff at this time.

Truthfully, most of the hospitals I have seen are on freezes at this time. Yes, usually it runs courses like this periodically but many are attempting to enter the health care field strictly for personal monetary gains and that they are going to be dissapointed with the pay vs. the workload.

One can make as much money doing other jobs with less education, hours standing on your feet and not working every holiday and night shift. It is more a personal calling and internal dedication to provide care to the sick and injured in both careers and professions. Sad that it is not rewarded per financial gains but it is true....

R/r 911

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I faced a somewhat similar scenario when my daughter was born. My wife was unemployed, and my salary as an EMT in Queens NY was barely enough to cover the bills. Nursing is a much safer, established career than that of a medic. There are many avenues for advancement and specialization. RN's are well compansated in the greater NY area. Nursing grads were in high demand back then ('05), you could pretty much write your own ticket back then.

That would have taken me a few years and way more money than I was prepared to lay out. The paramedic program on the other hand, was 13 months without any pre reqs and only 6 grand, which was tax deductible. My employer was more than accomidating with my schedule. Class was two 8 hour days with 16-24 hours of clinicals weekly. Upon graduation, I upgraded to medic at my FT job, and took a per diem position shortly thereafter. I earned back the 6 grand in no time.

I also considered that I could go municipal third service EMS (I briefly considered FDNY EMS) TSEMS elsewhere, or fire based EMS where a few others from my job left for. Any of these would be secure, and offer a pension. A pension is vitally important nowadays. You want to be secure when you retire.

Bottom line, you're behind the 8-ball financially being a single mom. If your job is willing to pay for school, it would be in you and your child's best interest to go the medic route. You probably can't afford to tool around with school for three years or more.

What does your job ask for in return for paying for school?

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
you can get a 2 year nursing degree, fast, especially if you already have some credits.

in Austin, starting medics make 42,000-45,000 i think with a 48000 cap.

Starting nurses are making 21/hour plus shift differentials.

with some experience its not hard to make way more than that

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I recommend you stay with whatever you're doing now. Like rid mentioned if the first question you have is about money you're in it for the wrong reasons. The other deciding factor that you mention is the length of time involved in school, for now the medic program is much faster but do you feel that less than a year of 2 days a week will prepare you to be on your own responsible for the patient, you will notice that some of us are trying to move EMS forward including increased educational standards. Someone entering EMS because it's the shortest path to a medical career will not sit well with many here. I truly hope and expect that within the next 5-10 years an associates will be the required minimum to operate as a medic.

OP
OP
V

villagegirl127

Forum Probie
46 young thank you so much for your honest answer and
8jimi8 thank you for the stats. To answer your question, the position requires 1 year service as EMT and I am not sure how long they request for paramedic once they pay for the schooling. (They are very well respected around here and have a great rep. and I would be proud to work with them). They also have a TON of continuing ed. classes, so the education doesn't have to end.

As far as the other responses - first of all, my reasons for wanting a career as an EMT and/or Paramedic are HUGE - you don't know me and have no idea what brought me to wanting to be an EMT/Paramedic or possibly an RN. Second, maybe you have, or once did have, the option to not worry about how much money you will make in a career, or how much time you would invest in obtaining that degree/certificate - LUCKY YOU! I however don't have that luxury and never have.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I agree with villager. If you know that you want to work in healthcare, I don't see the problem with picking a subsection of healthcare that has better pay/benefits. Right now I believe RNs generally make better money than paramedics by a large margin. There is no shame in weighing the choices based on all aspects of job description, which includes pay.

I know many nurses in CA, making just under 100k a year, and they don't live in the expensive areas like SF, LA, SD, so their income actually allows them a comfortable lifestyle. Private medics in my area, on the other hand, start at 12.50/hr. Definitely something to consider.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Taking into account your personal situation and the current state of the economy, i would suggest pursuing your initial intention of becoming a medic especially if someone else is flipping the bill. Then as time goes on and your life allows start taking all the RN-Medic degree pre-req courses. Even if you dont end up with a degree in either these classes will only make you a stronger medic in the long run.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As far as the other responses - first of all, my reasons for wanting a career as an EMT and/or Paramedic are HUGE - you don't know me and have no idea what brought me to wanting to be an EMT/Paramedic or possibly an RN. Second, maybe you have, or once did have, the option to not worry about how much money you will make in a career, or how much time you would invest in obtaining that degree/certificate - LUCKY YOU! I however don't have that luxury and never have.

I can only base what I read and the first statement was about money and the discussion followed that trend. I hope you look carefully as more and more are leaving the nursing profession after 3-5 years. The average age of a RN is 49 years old. There is a reason.. Yes, it is a great profession for those that want and have an ambition to do it. If one chooses it for monetary gains, they will be greatly disappointed as well as their patients.

As one that has both licenses (and have been both >20 years), I can assure you that those "great" high dollar RN jobs out there are difficult to find and more and more hospitals are on a freeze. When things do change (as they will) it will still take some time to build back up to the need. Also, watch nursing programs decrease the number allowed into the program. Unlike EMS they monitor demand and needs, to protect their profession.

R/r 911

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
A BScN is probably a much safer career step but do you want to be doing nursing or do you want to be a Paramedic? The two are run parallel but are also quite different.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I am an RN as well as a paramedic. Back before we had kids, I gave up my nursing career because I longed to be back in the streets. I got to where I hated every minute I spent in the STICU that I worked in, even though it was a fast-paced, busy unit. I just preferred being a medic.

Now, with kids to support, I view my nursing license as part of my life insurance on my husband. If something happens that I have to go back to work, I'd cheerfully suck it up and go be a nurse, because that's where the money is.

I have a friend who just started as a new grad nurse making the same hourly rate I make at my PT job after 15 years in EMS. Hmmm. Plus she gets shift differentials on top of that.

The money's in nursing, but the job isn't nearly as fun as working in EMS, not for me, anyway.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with the sentiment that if you're going into it based upon the paycheck or choosing between fields for solely that reason, you're setting yourself up to be miserable in the long run.

However, here is the information for an average sized hospital in central Indiana that I work at (I asked one of my friends who works in our HR office today). These are averages based on a full time (36 hour work week) position and vary with experience, shift and time with the facility:
-Med/Surg RN: ~$25-30/hour
-ER RN: ~$26-30/hour
-ICU RN: ~$28-32/hour (none of the nurses in our ICU were direct hired into the ICU so that skews the pay scale a little bit)
-RT (just for comparison...this is what I make as a relatively new hire, not an average of our department): $28.70/hour on weekend night shift (my normal shift); $24.60/hour on weekday nights, and $21.00/hour on the rare occasions I pick up a day shift. It's not a bad gig and an RT's workload at most hospitals is generally considerably less than the RNs (although some people work at hospital where the RTs are BUSIER than the nurses), especially on night shift. This is based upon experience from a wide variety of hospitals (from a Level I trauma center all the way down to a 25-bed critical access hospital in rural Michigan). You can make more money by working travel (temp staffing) assignments and I know a couple of therapists who clear almost $100K a year doing this although I should state both of them have specialized as neonatal ICU therapists and therefore demand a higher premium (in some places, such experience can be an almost "name your price" sort of bargaining chip for travelers).

Our education requirements are comparable and the only thing that is lacking (relatively speaking compared to nurses) in most hospitals is the opportunity to advance in the "chain of command" since you really are locked into one of two departments (RT and sleep) without additional training and qualifications (RN, ultrasound, etc). Honestly, if you are looking for a pretty good career involving in-hospital care and want to make decent to good money, you should look at respiratory therapy as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. If I can't answer them, I can pass you along to some colleagues of mine who are very well regarded in the field who can give help you.

OP
OP
V

villagegirl127

Forum Probie
Thank you all for giving me the info. I have to weigh the options, but I am thinking paramedic is the way I am going to go. I'm not in it for the money (I know I won't get rich), but I do need to know that I can keep a roof over my head and feed my kids. My plan is to finish the medic training and just continue to learn and take classes...than I can take it from there.

syd

Forum Probie
I don't know if you are thinking about getting both degrees... but, there is usually a RN to EMT-P track at some colleges, while there is usually no P to RN track (that I know of). If someone was thinking about both degrees, it seems easier to do RN first, then EMT-P. Just something to think about...

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I have been pondering this question myself for the last few months. I live in Washington which I have heard will soon be following Oregon's lead and making the paramedic program a two year degree. I have discussed this with former ER techs who are now ER RN's and they all say if its going to be a two year program either way then go RN and challenge the medic test at a latter date. Money is for sure better as an RN and the schedules tend to be better. I know of a few RN's that work as medics with both paid and volunteer agencies and they seem to be very happy having it both ways.

I do realize the negatives as well as the positives with both programs, RN schools are full and competition is fierce, first year RN's can have trouble getting in the ER door but the last few of my fellow techs that finished RN school are now working in our ER, having an established relationship with your facility of choice is a big plus. One year medic programs are still available in WA but the wages starting after school are low for the most part and I really don't like the restrictive nature of some agencies protocols and field SOP's. There are plenty of things to consider before making a decision either way.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
In Central California:

RX Tech (Retail) - 15.00
RX Tech (Hospital) - 20.00
RX Tech (Compounding/IV's) -17.00 (ish)

EMT-B - 8.00-9.00
EMT-P - 12.50-13.00

LVN (Hospital) - 15.00-25.00
RN/BSN (Hospital) - 35.00

Just a comparison of all the fields that I KNOW how much they make... this is subject to change....

**please note that this is a very expensive area to live in and therefore there is inflation of salary

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. I know a few RNs in private hospitals around LA, they are making 50+/hr with lots of opportunities for overtime and great benefits. These people all have BSNs and have all the certs. Unlike EMS, hospitals actually pay you more monthly to carry ACLS, PALS, NRP, MICN, CEN etc.
Paramedics on the other hand make very little.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Sticking to the threads title, Paramedic vs RN.

Getting the pay stuff out of the way (not a concern of mine) What do you ladies and gents think about the scope of practice between an Registered Nurse, and a Paramedic?

I've heard a lot, that once you get your ASN, and aquire the NCLEX-RN, you can challenge the NREMT-P. Are the skills between the two really that similiar?

Do you think one may compliment the other? (Being skilled as a Paramedic, at the same time being skilled as a Registered Nurse, Pre-Hospital, and Post Hospital Medical Skills. Or experiences working in both capacities?

I've been hearing a lot about PHRNs (Pre-Hospital Registered Nurse) working with some FDs in and around WA. both RN, and Paramedic certified medical professionals. I've also heard that Flight Medics, and Flight Nurses work side by side in literal sinc. Anyone have any expire on this?

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
In Central California:

RX Tech (Retail) - 15.00
RX Tech (Hospital) - 20.00
RX Tech (Compounding/IV's) -17.00 (ish)

EMT-B - 8.00-9.00
EMT-P - 12.50-13.00

LVN (Hospital) - 15.00-25.00
RN/BSN (Hospital) - 35.00

Just a comparison of all the fields that I KNOW how much they make... this is subject to change....

**please note that this is a very expensive area to live in and therefore there is inflation of salary

In WA, an Paramedic makes around $18-22 an hour. EMT-B, you'll never see one outside a FD. so I've never heard of anything regarding the hourly pay. but they make a min of $50K per year if fulltime. (or $40K, it depends completely on the department) pretty much the same as LPNs and RNs. with exception RNs in my area of WA. can make anywhere from $18 to $86 per hour depending soly on their specializations. aka, persuing education beyond the "basic" Registered Nurse. Flight Nurses make almost $65k per year (just like Flight Medics, depending on hospital) if you're a Emergency Room, Critical Care, and Ultrasound/Electro Kardio Gram qualified. you're talking almost $74K per year. With Surgical Technologist, and Phlebotemy certifications on top of the above mentioned, you're a $104K per year asset. (they can throw you anywhere needed, and can double up with a surgical procedure on the spot, and use specialized equipment. In other words, you save them from having to hire 4+ more people)

For Nursing, all the Nurses I know (been talking extensively to quite a few, as well as Paramedics) the more specialized training you get into/persue (with your own money, fyi) and the more specialized skills you have vs generic RN. The better, and higher your pay is going to be. Like a Nurse Anesthesiologist (although you need to have an MSN to get that specialty) makes roughly $270K per year average in WA. one at Harborview I've questioned quite a bit, she makes $285K per year, because she has more than aneastisology certifications. She's ER, and Surgical Tech qualified as well, Surgical Tech certification saves her hospital from hiring one. (so they get 4 people int he operating room VS 6, because another Nurse on her surgical team is Surgical Technologist qualified as well, giving her an additional $15K per year, vs having to spend $45K per year for an employee on payroll)