paramedic to rn bridge_excelsior program

Righteous

Forum Probie
Does anyone know what the validity is for the online excelsior program. I've been searchin the web for a while, but no success in finding accurate information.

From what I understand you take an online class(at your leisure) do some clinicals and take some rn equivalent national registry.

I live in georgia and I'm being told that excelsior nurses are no longer being hired. Can someone elighten me or point me in the right direction for the information I need. If I can't get a job, what's the point of paying for an expensive bridge program?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Some states will no longer register RNs who did a program through Excelsior. NM was moving in that direction when I moved. Its usually cheaper, though a little longer, to just do an ADN program at a community college. And that way you know you can get a job when you're done with school

Journey

Forum Captain
I live in georgia and I'm being told that excelsior nurses are no longer being hired. Can someone elighten me or point me in the right direction for the information I need.

Contact the Georgia Board of Nursing for the correct information.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone know what the validity is for the online excelsior program. I've been searchin the web for a while, but no success in finding accurate information.

From what I understand you take an online class(at your leisure) do some clinicals and take some rn equivalent national registry.

I live in georgia and I'm being told that excelsior nurses are no longer being hired. Can someone elighten me or point me in the right direction for the information I need. If I can't get a job, what's the point of paying for an expensive bridge program?

Georgia repealed. One of the nursing sites that I administrate had a big debate over this, and many were pissed. Georgia will not license RNs who have completed excelsior's program. I can't say I disagree with them. I spent 2 solid years in clinicals, labs, and class 5 days a week and even weekends in some situations. During these two years, I did clinicals in many areas: nursing homes, Emergency Rooms, CVICU, NICU, Neuro ICU, Nephrology Units, OR, Med/Surg, and many others. Moreover, many employers will not hire you when they find out you completed your nursing education online.

In my humble opinion, I don't feel that anyone other than an AAS or ASN RN should be allowed to take nursing courses online. The only reason I feel the AAS and ASN would be able too is because the skill set between BSN and AAS/ASN are the same. The only difference is management, research, education, and community health.

If you really want to be an RN, go to the NLNAC's website, locate an accredited campus program in your area, and enroll.

Last edited by a moderator:

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
i did my RN program through them and had no problem getting a job after the fact. everyone learns different. you will have to put in the study time, but if you do. you will be just fine. i say go for it. lots of us in Florida have:p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
i did my RN program through them and had no problem getting a job after the fact. everyone learns different. you will have to put in the study time, but if you do. you will be just fine. i say go for it. lots of us in Florida have:p

Try getting a job in critical care.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Try getting a job in critical care.

While I can't say I disagree with your premise (and for that mattter, have the same issue with RN's "challenging" the NREMT-P) it can be done. A well known CCT educator was able to go through CRNA school after Excelsior's RN and BSN programs.

Journey

Forum Captain
It is not the fact the program is online but the fact the program is totally online and lacks in labs and clinicals.

However, I think this program is great for some LVNs who have been clinically trained for most of the skills in nursing and have experience taking care of several patients in a hospital or some LTC facilities. I would not recommend Excelsior to a Paramedic who has never worked as an LVN in a hospital. They may be okay finding a job in the ED but will still need extensive precepting and will have to be carried by the other RNs for a long time. Paramedics probably should have been excluded from the group that can take the Excelsior program and it be left open to only LVNs.

While I can't say I disagree with your premise (and for that mattter, have the same issue with RN's "challenging" the NREMT-P) it can be done. A well known CCT educator was able to go through CRNA school after Excelsior's RN and BSN programs.

The key word here is "A" meaning one. I also believe he did not work very long as a nurse and went straight to CRNA which is a specialty with a limited focus and 1:1 patient care in one area.

Most RNs who challenge the Paramedic exam will still be working as a nurse under their nursing license and the Paramedic cert is just a loop to jump through that defines an ambulance. Those that do choose to work just as a Paramedic will disclose their education to their employer so they can adjust the orientation on the truck. For those who have gone to the FD or ambulance services as a Paramedic, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
righteous go for it. dont let anyone talk you down. if you put in the effort and do the work you will be ok. and you can work in any part of nursing with your degree even CC. i do and so do many others. the bottom line will be is that you can always find people to talk down about the program. just like when i took it. but once you go through it and pass everything you will be working just like any other new grad. i did my AS in paramedic/EMS right out of high school (2003) and the medic to RN program not long after. i was all finished by Jan 2006. and know many others who have done it as well. including lots of military medics.

Journey

Forum Captain
righteous go for it. dont let anyone talk you down. if you put in the effort and do the work you will be ok.

Be careful about the information you give out.
Only if his state accepts it will it be okay. The best advice is to contact the BON of that state prior to initiating the program. It the state does not accept it, he may have to move to another state for 2 years to gain reciprocity and endorsment.

you can work in any part of nursing with your degree even CC

Technically you could work any area that requires an RN licence but you may not be the best candidate. There is no shortage of applications to the critical care areas and they probably will not pick someone who has never worked in a hospital and has not done any clinicals.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

I don't really like the idea of RN's challenging NREMT-P either. I, myself went through 4 years of RN school, and 1 year of EMT-IV school followed by 2 years of Paramedic school. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
In California the Nursing board here doesn't recognize the Excelsior program as a valid program...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The key word here is "A" meaning one. I also believe he did not work very long as a nurse and went straight to CRNA which is a specialty with a limited focus and 1:1 patient care in one area.

Never said it was the norm, and he's also an exceptionally smart and motivated individual.

I would not recommend Excelsior to a Paramedic who has never worked as an LVN in a hospital. They may be okay finding a job in the ED but will still need extensive precepting and will have to be carried by the other RNs for a long time. Paramedics probably should have been excluded from the group that can take the Excelsior program and it be left open to only LVNs.

I know multiple RRTs who have gone this same route. Do you recommend against it for them? Or is it an inborn bias against paramedics.

Most RNs who challenge the Paramedic exam will still be working as a nurse under their nursing license and the Paramedic cert is just a loop to jump through that defines an ambulance. Those that do choose to work just as a Paramedic will disclose their education to their employer so they can adjust the orientation on the truck. For those who have gone to the FD or ambulance services as a Paramedic, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Doesn't matter, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I refuse to advocate for ANY shortcut program into any profession.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I don't really like the idea of RN's challenging NREMT-P either. I, myself went through 4 years of RN school, and 1 year of EMT-IV school followed by 2 years of Paramedic school. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Very glad to see someone who did it right. I can also say I think those who go the Excelsior route are cheating themselves out of education.

Journey

Forum Captain
Doesn't matter, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

True. When ambulances and FDs only want warm bodies with a Paramedic patch they should accept them. However, since many Paramedic programs are not getting their students job ready with skills and the clinicals can vary greatly for experience, there shouldn't be that much of a problem. At least an RN who has been trained in a traditional program will have at least 1000 (1500 average) hour of clinicals and that includes multiple patient contacts. The Paramedic student may have very little previous experience except for a BLS ambulance and may not even have an interest in medicine but is merely satisfying a work requirement to be a FireFighter or to live out some action hero fantasy. When the EMS industry itself only views the Paramedic cert as just an extra add on, why should it be any different for RNs? Close the loopholes by advancing education across the U.S. This is what other professions such as Respiratory Therapy and Radiology did to keep RNs from challenging their certs.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
True. When ambulances and FDs only want warm bodies with a Paramedic patch they should accept them. However, since many Paramedic programs are not getting their students job ready with skills and the clinicals can vary greatly for experience, there shouldn't be that much of a problem. At least an RN who has been trained in a traditional program will have at least 1000 (1500 average) hour of clinicals and that includes multiple patient contacts. The Paramedic student may have very little previous experience except for a BLS ambulance and may not even have an interest in medicine but is merely satisfying a work requirement to be a FireFighter or to live out some action hero fantasy. When the EMS industry itself only views the Paramedic cert as just an extra add on, why should it be any different for RNs? Close the loopholes by advancing education across the U.S. This is what other professions such as Respiratory Therapy and Radiology did to keep RNs from challenging their certs.

My interest had always been in medicine. Surprisingly, I never really developed a taste for fire, and never wanted a part of it. It was the medicine that attracted me. My interest in EMS all began when I took a first responder class, at that point, I knew I wanted to be a paramedic.

I was particularly fortunate to be part of an exceptional paramedic program which trained us to see each patient as a textbook and realize that the patients we were going to be seeing on a daily basis were a far cry from the textbook, healthy 20 year old depicted, in terms of both anatomy and physiology. Moreover, in keeping with the times, my program also had a "home health" component, which surprised me as a nurse.. I am proud to say that "Home health" component has now become a required part of the state's paramedic checkoff sheet in some capacity. Once I finish the push with the local University to require nursing level general education as pre-requisite for its paramedic program, I intend to work with a local trauma center to drastically redefine the role of the Paramedic in the emergency department by taking advantage of a few articles in TN Code Annotated that allow for more control over skills by the overseeing medical director, allowing paramedics with formal degrees and hours in Anatomy & Physiology as well as microbiology to function in a capacity that is more like an RN with regard to skills that can be performed in the ED.

Copy of the checkoff sheet:
http://health.state.tn.us/Downloads/PH3806.pdf

Journey

Forum Captain
My interest had always been in medicine. Surprisingly, I never really developed a taste for fire, and never wanted a part of it. It was the medicine that attracted me. My interest in EMS all began when I took a first responder class, at that point, I knew I wanted to be a paramedic.

That is excellent that you have put much effort into your education and training. I wish all would do that.

However, there are also exceptions to TN and EMS as well. Memphis FD is an example of that when they started their own inhouse training program to mass produce Paramedics.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
That is excellent that you have put much effort into your education and training. I wish all would do that.

However, there are also exceptions to TN and EMS as well. Memphis FD is an example of that when they started their own inhouse training program to mass produce Paramedics.

True. However, let's remember, they are the ONLY non accredited Paramedic program in the state. All the others are accredited. Here is my evidence:

On the following page, click education, and approved institutions.
http://health.state.tn.us/EMS/personnellicensure.htm

You will see that all programs EXCEPT the memphis training academy that host Paramedic level programs are CAAHEP Accredited.

(edit) There is one more, "The Southeastern institute". However, there are rumors circulating amongst the powers that be in TN, whom I have spoken too directly that in the very near future, ALL paramedic programs are to be accredited by one of the two accrediting bodies for paramedic education. This will take care of medic mills.

Journey

Forum Captain
True. However, let's remember, they are the ONLY non accredited Paramedic program in the state. All the others are accredited.

Yes, but Memphis is a new program which appeared within the last two years. Once the exception is made it is difficult to keep others out. Accreditation is great and a good start but California (all accredited Paramedic programs) is good example that it is not the end all to every problem in EMS. AMR's medic mill is also accredited as are the other private techs in that state which are expensive and mass produce.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, but Memphis is a new program which appeared within the last two years. Once the exception is made it is difficult to keep others out. Accreditation is great and a good start but California (all accredited Paramedic programs) is good example that it is not the end all to every problem in EMS. AMR's medic mill is also accredited as are the other private techs in that state which are expensive and mass produce.

The new standards take effect in TN in late 2011. Hopefully, the accredation requirement will as well.