Paramedic School

EOPFD

Forum Probie
Does anyone know any info on the stonybrook paramedic program?
I hear a lot of mixed reviews.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, yes, I graduated from there and taught there for 11 years. What would you like to know?

OP
OP
EOPFD

EOPFD

Forum Probie
Well, yes, I graduated from there and taught there for 11 years. What would you like to know?
What is there acceptance rate?
And what do u need to get in besides drivers license and EMT b

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
...and I would hope they care about their students also being able to do basic research on their own.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
What is there acceptance rate?
And what do u need to get in besides drivers license and EMT b

You need to understand that going to medic school almost anywhere is going to involve much more than a driver's license and an EMT-B card. It won't be anything like your EMT class. You'll be held accountable daily for lots of classroom and practical work. You'll have to learn material that requires more than a junior-high level of reading comprehension. You don't need to be a math whiz, but if you have trouble with fractions, decimals, basic algebra or the metric system, you're going to struggle.

You should have a mature affect and above average communication skills, just like you'll need in the field. If you don't find it easy to get along with people; if you see adversaries instead of colleagues when you look around the classroom; if you think of calls mostly as interruptions of your down time; if you can't get your head around doing messy, inconvenient, occasionally risky work -- there are better occupations for you.

If you apply to Stony Brook, you'll be tested and interviewed, just like everyone else with a driver's license and EMT card. If your prospective instructors think you'll flunk the program, they won't take your money. That's a good thing you won't find everywhere.

Just to accentuate one point that's most important for you to grasp: medic school is not like EMT class, any more than learning to fly an airplane is like driver's ed.

Hope this helps.