Paramedic School

bill williams

Forum Crew Member
Starting medic school in Jan. The cost of the course is 3800.00. Does anyone know of any grants/scholarships that will help pay for the class? I tried various websites such as salliemae.com. But the school is a non-accredited school and it is not listed in all of the financial aid applications that i have tried.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A loan from a bank is about your only option. FASFA would be an option if you were going to a community college based program.

3800$ is cheap compared to where I went!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
3800$ is cheap compared to where I went!
No kidding!! And my area is typically considered "cheap"!

What Rob said. That, or if you are employed with an ambulance company or fire department, I've known companies to help employees pay for paramedic class with sorts of payment plans (pay check deductions or contract for x-amount of years employment)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

What Rob said. That, or if you are employed with an ambulance company or fire department, I've known companies to help employees pay for paramedic class with sorts of payment plans (pay check deductions or contract for x-amount of years employment)

Some places will pay your entire way if you sign a contract committing to X amount of years working as a medic for them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I start in March and its gonna cost me $6,800. :(

Still so much cheaper than mine!

With that said, there are only a few other places I would have been happy with going to school at. No complaints.

Good luck to the both of you!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
OP
OP
B

bill williams

Forum Crew Member
No its not an accredited school. The program is ran through one of the hospitals in my area.
I could wait yet another year and go to the local community college, but from what I've gathered it is not a very good program. I think I'm going to work nights full time at least for the first couple months and pay out of pocket. I'll just have to tough it out and make it work.
thanks

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
No its not an accredited school. The program is ran through one of the hospitals in my area.
I could wait yet another year and go to the local community college, but from what I've gathered it is not a very good program. I think I'm going to work nights full time at least for the first couple months and pay out of pocket. I'll just have to tough it out and make it work.
thanks

Look into getting a job at the hospital and see what tuition assistance they offer. Mine paid $4500 a year for part time employees

OP
OP
B

bill williams

Forum Crew Member

I do work for an ambulance company, as far as I know they will reimburse me after the program, but I do have to sign a contract saying that I will work for them for an additional 2 years after school to be fully reimbursed. I'd rather find a better paying job after.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You are aware that starting in 2013 you can only test for the NREMT if you pass an accredited program right?

OP
OP
B

bill williams

Forum Crew Member
You are aware that starting in 2013 you can only test for the NREMT if you pass an accredited program right?

As far as I know I can take the registry. I guess it is an accredited school, its just not listed as a school on the hundreds of financial aid/student loan programs I checked out. Sorry for the confusion.