Paramedic School Mega-Codes

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
When will I get to work on the 17yo Male that OD's on grandma's tricyclic antidepressants, in the garage where he get's organophosphate poisoning and downs a bottle of benzodiazepines after getting bitten by a poisonous snake, then falls from a ladder and gets bilateral femur fractures?

If I ever meet him, I will have the skills. :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When will I get to work on the 17yo Male that OD's on grandma's tricyclic antidepressants, in the garage where he get's organophosphate poisoning and downs a bottle of benzodiazepines after getting bitten by a poisonous snake, then falls from a ladder and gets bilateral femur fractures?

I have come to believe that there are never, ever accidental overdoses on TCAs. They are like some protected class of meds.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
and you STILL won't have a clue!

With that much going on, nothing will unfold like it did in the exercise. All the little pieces don't fall together so neat and clean out there. But the practice you got using you're head to figure WILL serve you.

CUjays34

Forum Probie

Make sure the first thing you do is open the airway!!!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I went to high school with that guy.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Dumb and unproductive. Unless this was meant for fun, it should never have even been used. :glare:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The scenario doesn't have to be realistic...don't you feel better knowing you can think quickly and change paths in a megacode and respond to whatever you assess might be going on within your algorithms, now?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
The scenario doesn't have to be realistic...don't you feel better knowing you can think quickly and change paths in a megacode and respond to whatever you assess might be going on within your algorithms, now?

I don't agree but, that is not required ;). Realism is not 100% necessary, but stupid? That isn't necessary either. It muddies the goal of the whole exercise. The exercise is to work on thinking through the process. If a student knows a scenario is stupid, he/she will spend way too much time being distracted by stupid, rather than what they are there to learn. Unless stupid is, as stupid does, and that is the goal of the exercise ;)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The OP belongs in "Humor, The Best Medicine"

"Megacodes" like that are fun, but some pose them seriously and beat you senseless with them. When the scenario guru puts the cards away and starts winging it, it's time to stand up and call "C#*P".

HOWEVER....IF you are doing a code drill and if you screw things up, then they might accelerate things to simulate the cscade of badness that descends when time is spinning around the drain for your pt you failed to help, to mix a metaphor. You will remember the helplessness you experience and learn to do better.

But not with the type of deal you cited. That's a "blanket case"...pull up the blanket.

Hey, you forgot that the victim is dressed in a skimpy swimsuit but lying on a live electric wire.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't agree but, that is not required ;). Realism is not 100% necessary, but stupid? That isn't necessary either. It muddies the goal of the whole exercise. The exercise is to work on thinking through the process. If a student knows a scenario is stupid, he/she will spend way too much time being distracted by stupid, rather than what they are there to learn. Unless stupid is, as stupid does, and that is the goal of the exercise ;)

I guess that might be on the student. Something as simple as not letting the stupidness of a scenario distract you from being able to perform a megacode skill.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Simulators

Do you have any (advanced) Simulation mannequins (i.e. Laerdal SimMan)?

Endless possibilities (that is if you know how to make scenarios for them)...

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess that might be on the student. Something as simple as not letting the stupidness of a scenario distract you from being able to perform a megacode skill.[/QUI

Students pay to learn, not put up with ignorant, underskilled instuctors who know less about teaching than they apparently know about what happens out there in the real world working the road. In my experience, the shorter time on the road, the more an instructor pulls this sort of "exercise."

There is plenty of time late in a course and beyond, to apply such thinking on yer feet silliness. First things first; learning to think on one's feet, in a realistic setting. Make it asthma, OD, acute renal, hepatic, etc., a mega-code they might actually encounter. The initial learning process is too valuable to waste. It is a time to teach, to learn, not worry about acting out someone elses idea of fun.