Paramedic Recertification Confusion

Scott Roberts

Forum Probie
I am a paramedic in California. I need to recertify in 2018. Do I need to follow the NREMT-P re-certification requirements or not. I Know that Calif. has a state agency called EMSA and of course issues a state cert. card. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are you wanting to just recert your state license or your National Registry?

OP
OP
S

Scott Roberts

Forum Probie
I am a paramedic in California. I need to recertify in 2018. Do I need to follow the NREMT-P re-certification requirements or not. I Know that Calif. has a state agency called EMSA and of course issues a state cert. card. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Are you wanting to just recert your state license or your National Registry?
Actually I would like to do both. I understand I need ACLS and PALS but do I also need a 48hr Refresher course? if so where do I find one. Thanks for responding

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For National yes you need a refresher course. PALS is not a state or national requirement but may be a requirement for your company or county.

Since you are in CA you need a traditional 48-hour refresher. There are some online options and some in class options.

If I remember correctly NREMT has a list of approved online ones. For my last recert I used Distancecme.com since I waited for the last minute.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Read the fine print on the NREMT and CAEMSA’s websites.

Also, how long have you been a paramedic? This does matter. If you obtained your license before a certain date you can still opt for the traditional NRP renewal model; this is what I did. If not, you’ll have to follow the NCCP model outlined.

By the next go round we’ll all have to follow the NCCP model. Or, you can always test out for your NRP card (more and more tempting by the day for next go round).

For California they only accept anything with a California CE provider number for your 48 hours, and/ or CAPCE CE’s. Go onto their website and under renewal it’ll give you the link.

Also, has anybody had to do a transition course for their NRP? I read somewhere that for paramedics licensed before 2013 (?) they would need a one-time transition course prior to this renewal, or force being dropped down to NRAEMT status.

I’ve already submitted my paperwork online, but couldn’t find anything directly on the NREMT website about a transition course. I’ve emailed them twice now, but guess a phone call is in order. I’m not really feeling the NREMT these days so much.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Read the fine print on the NREMT and CAEMSA’s websites.

Also, how long have you been a paramedic? This does matter. If you obtained your license before a certain date you can still opt for the traditional NRP renewal model; this is what I did. If not, you’ll have to follow the NCCP model outlined.

By the next go round we’ll all have to follow the NCCP model. Or, you can always test out for your NRP card (more and more tempting by the day for next go round).

For California they only accept anything with a California CE provider number for your 48 hours, and/ or CAPCE CE’s. Go onto their website and under renewal it’ll give you the link.

Also, has anybody had to do a transition course for their NRP? I read somewhere that for paramedics licensed before 2013 (?) they would need a one-time transition course prior to this renewal, or force being dropped down to NRAEMT status.

I’ve already submitted my paperwork online, but couldn’t find anything directly on the NREMT website about a transition course. I’ve emailed them twice now, but guess a phone call is in order. I’m not really feeling the NREMT these days so much.
Last time I checked CA was still not following the NCCP model which means you had to follow the traditional model.

Edit: also a lot of the refresher courses are also considered an approved transition course.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Last time I checked CA was still not following the NCCP model which means you had to follow the traditional model.
Hmmm, interesting. The way it was worded—or perhaps how I understood it—was that the NCCP model will be thee model come next cycle unless you’ve been a paramedic for less than a few years.
Edit: also a lot of the refresher courses are also considered an approved transition course.
I’ll have to check with them directly. I didn’t use a standard refresher course. I used Creighton’s course.

It gives a breakdown sheet of all of the CE categories, and how many hours each lecture specifically covers for NREMT renewal.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmmm, interesting. The way it was worded—or perhaps how I understood it—was that the NCCP model will be thee model come next cycle unless you’ve been a paramedic for less than a few years.

I’ll have to check with them directly. I didn’t use a standard refresher course. I used Creighton’s course.

It gives a breakdown sheet of all of the CE categories, and how many hours each lecture specifically covers for NREMT renewal.
Negative. Each state can either decide to become a NCCP state or not. As of right now CA has still said no.
79104990-8A8D-4FD1-A774-6BD23597847D.png

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Good to know. I would imagine if they opted to utilize the NCCP model then they’d give sufficient notice to all card holders.

OP
OP
S

Scott Roberts

Forum Probie
For National yes you need a refresher course. PALS is not a state or national requirement but may be a requirement for your company or county.

Since you are in CA you need a traditional 48-hour refresher. There are some online options and some in class options.

If I remember correctly NREMT has a list of approved online ones. For my last recert I used Distancecme.com since I waited for the last minute.
Thank you so much for this info. I was really confused. And Merry Christmas to you

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually for NREMT you do NOT need a refresher course: I have been renewing every 2 years since 2006 and I have only done a refresher twice, and parts of one twice.
You can do it with straight CE hours, over the 2 year period. (1/4 hr here, 1/2 there, 2 hours the other time and place).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Actually for NREMT you do NOT need a refresher course: I have been renewing every 2 years since 2006 and I have only done a refresher twice, and parts of one twice.
You can do it with straight CE hours, over the 2 year period. (1/4 hr here, 1/2 there, 2 hours the other time and place).
While that is true for a lot of people it is much easier to take the refresher course and then do the extra CE hours on top of it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
While that is true for a lot of people it is much easier to take the refresher course and then do the extra CE hours on top of it.
Or just challenge the exam. That's what im doing next month.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If one fails the "challenge" can you still re-cert. with CEUs or is there a penalty?
I think uou can recert without penalty still as long as you're not late. Althouvh i just sae the JEMS medic ce 59 for unlimited 1 year of CEs special so i might just knock put all my ces real quicj at work

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think uou can recert without penalty still as long as you're not late. Althouvh i just sae the JEMS medic ce 59 for unlimited 1 year of CEs special so i might just knock put all my ces real quicj at work
I got the same email, and it isn’t like I don’t get the downtime to do them at work either. I’m thinking along the same lines.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thank you for the info. I can only imagine the test is extremely hard. So I may look into ceu's as well.
It's not too bad if you know the material. Just that the nremt has a special way of wording questions.