Paramedic Interceptor? Really?

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBuScU-9B8M&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Well I can't watch it on my phone, so I'll have to check it out later when I'm at a computer, but by the description I can tell that this guy is a fanatic. He seems to be dedicated to the position, but some would argue the effectiveness of a non-transporting ALS unit. I personally think that people who feel that he is overdoing it as a volunteer can shove it though. As long as you aren't causing more danger, who is to say he shouldn't be allowed to respond like that? Small communities and spread-out country areas need good volunteers.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Kinda whackerish if a privately owned POV. If run by a service it makes sense to me. Why run a full rig or squad or an ambulance for a non transporting agency or for supervisor/ALS intercept purposes. Cheaper to buy/maintain/fuel/etc

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The idea of an unmarked, non-management EMS unit just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Let's make it easier for the motoring public to hit us!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It does make some sense, however, I would prefer that such vehicles used for Paramedic responses be marked somehow.

WWFDCorrie

Forum Ride Along
A lot of people will always pull the "whacker" card. But as far as i'm concerned, as long as he's not out trying to make the public think he's a LEO, who cares. I ran a P71 for a while because I used to car pool to EMT / FF trainings with 3 guys a lot. Those things hold everything. However the only markings I would put on it is a License plate, it could get into some legal issues depending on the state because people are marking it a "Emergency" vehicle if its a POV.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I guess I don't understand how the poster is using it as a backup for his work-issued vehicle, and how he fits the same equipment as a Durango.

D

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't see the video but,

Did the guy pay for this vehicle himself? Did he pay for all the lights himself? The equipment? Did he make the video just to seem cool?

If yes to all the above, he is undeniably a douche.

WWFDCorrie

Forum Ride Along
I guess I don't understand how the poster is using it as a backup for his work-issued vehicle, and how he fits the same equipment as a Durango.

D

I don't know what he could pack in the Durango that he couldn't in a Crown Vic. As a ALS Intercept anyhow.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I vote "whacker."

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am willing to bet this guy has represented himself as law enforcement at one time or another either by driving habits on the road or just pulling over hanging out on side of a road.

*We say squirrel too--always chasing a nut.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My work vehicle is a former PD Impala, but it's well marked and doesn't come home with me.

Never understood the squirrel/whacker phenomenon...

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
bdf6863fb69e13251924b2a457ef9dba.jpg

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Very probably a whacker. I agree with the LE representation possibility. If not trying to be a cop then why the light bar? Most fly cars or QRVs are either pickups or SUVs and are well marked. An all black Crown Vic screams whacker to me.

WWFDCorrie

Forum Ride Along
Very probably a whacker. I agree with the LE representation possibility. If not trying to be a cop then why the light bar? Most fly cars or QRVs are either pickups or SUVs and are well marked. An all black Crown Vic screams whacker to me.

I don't really get the whole 'calling him a whacker' deal. Just based on his car. Maybe if he acts like it. Some people are just still in the "young" stage of EMS or Firefighting and like too, a lot of people just like to show off at county training and such. As long as they're not trying to impersonate, or blind people infront of them with courtesy lights, who gives a dam. Sooner or later they'll mature enough and realize different. Also some Depts may require a Lightbar, Mine does for the 360 degrees visibility.
Who knows, the lights may end up saving his life while he's on the side of a road dealing with a pt, the number one job of ems is to get home safe, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't really get the whole 'calling him a whacker' deal. Just based on his car. Maybe if he acts like it. Some people are just still in the "young" stage of EMS or Firefighting and like too, a lot of people just like to show off at county training and such. As long as they're not trying to impersonate, or blind people infront of them with courtesy lights, who gives a dam. Sooner or later they'll mature enough and realize different. Also some Depts may require a Lightbar, Mine does for the 360 degrees visibility.
Who knows, the lights may end up saving his life while he's on the side of a road dealing with a pt, the number one job of ems is to get home safe, right?

If the lights on his vehicle are what are saving him from a secondary MVA, the system is broken. If you choose to stop and help at an MVA, you should not need lights to protect yourself.

WWFDCorrie

Forum Ride Along
If the lights on his vehicle are what are saving him from a secondary MVA, the system is broken. If you choose to stop and help at an MVA, you should not need lights to protect yourself.

A lot of Volunteer EMS / FF end up responding straight to the scene due to where the MVA is though. I'm not going to go by the Scene to go to the Station. What if you're first on scene?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A lot of Volunteer EMS / FF end up responding straight to the scene due to where the MVA is though. I'm not going to go by the Scene to go to the Station. What if you're first on scene?

If you are first on scene in an area in which you feel you are at risk without flashing lights, you are putting yourself at great and completely unnecessary personal risk. While your sense of duty is admirable, your POV is not adequate protection from other traffic. If you are alone, who is watching your back?

WWFDCorrie

Forum Ride Along
If you are first on scene in an area in which you feel you are at risk without flashing lights, you are putting yourself at great and completely unnecessary personal risk. While your sense of duty is admirable, your POV is not adequate protection from other traffic. If you are alone, who is watching your back?

I think I am looking at this too much as a FF rather then an EMT. We are in a small town with low amount of traffic. As such, we are taught to not begin pt care, without first stabilization of the Vehicle and making sure its not a Fire hazard. Usually the first Fire truck is within 2-3 min of arriving on scene, we determine the amount of pt's there are to better determine the response needed, to paint a picture better for arriving crew and dispatch. Also a lot of FFs we have some Flares / Traffic vest in their POVs to help set up a work scene, as well as having emergency lights going. Until more crew arrive to start working.