Paramedic Degree

DavidTNguyen

Forum Ride Along
Hi, most places now offer an AS degree for Paramedic, would the course be less extreme than going into a paramedic program that lasts a year? Also, it might be a dumb question but when I finish the degree for paramedic can I take the NREMT just like I would if I did a one year paramedic program to be licensed?

phideux

Forum Captain
It's not going to be less extreme, it will just include the general education classes associated with the degree, along with the paramedic classes. Yes when you are done with the degree program, you can take the NREMT test.

OP
OP
D

DavidTNguyen

Forum Ride Along
It's not going to be less extreme, it will just include the general education classes associated with the degree, along with the paramedic classes. Yes when you are done with the degree program, you can take the NREMT test.

Thank you that answers my question :)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
Here in the EU we can go directly for the Masters degree without needing the AS or BS degrees. Our universities can use life experience as credit.

The course from Middlesex University will take anyone with 5 years of paramedic experience and put them through a two year MSc degree in Remote Medicine.

It saves a lot of money by not having to get the undergraduate work first. Plus, a lot of the universities here in the UK are FAFSA registered so our US cousins can use student loans.

Oh, one more thing...the cost is £6110 for the entire degree.

Hard to beat that one. And it is all online.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Here in the EU we can go directly for the Masters degree without needing the AS or BS degrees. Our universities can use life experience as credit.

The course from Middlesex University will take anyone with 5 years of paramedic experience and put them through a two year MSc degree in Remote Medicine.

It saves a lot of money by not having to get the undergraduate work first. Plus, a lot of the universities here in the UK are FAFSA registered so our US cousins can use student loans.

Where can I get more information about this? Also, what job opportunities are available for graduates of the MSc program?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Now that is really interesting... If my math works about 15,000 USD? I'd be interested to hear opportunities graduates are extended as well.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

I would also be interested in this. What does the program prepare/qualify you to do? Are graduates of this program being hired to do things with an extended scope or less oversight? How is this recognized internationally, say if I wanted to move to the UK from the US?

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
The MSc is about $9200 for the entire degree. It takes about two years to complete. At the moment it does not have a clinical element but Middlesex are redesigning it over the next couple of years.
You do not get additional clinical skills with this.

What this does is give you academics in your CV. If you wish to move up to management or if you want to move on to the doctorate you need a degree.

During this degree you will write about your EMS experience and submit that for credit. You will choose a thesis topic or project and work with the Middlesex tutors to complete it and submit it for review.

You will defend your thesis here in the UK or via skype. There is no need to come to Europe if you choose not to.

Eventually they aim to include the Critical Care Paramedic or Remote Medic Practitioner into this programme. That is a couple of years off.

Cheers

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I believe one of my coworkers is doing this program or one similar.
He had 2 years of university (i think) then switched to EMS . He did a 1 year pcp course and then a 2 year acp course after working a few years. They accepted that as equivocal to a bachelors. I believe he is doing his thesis on spinal immobilization. I will see if I can get him on here to answer some questions.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
The MSc is about $9200 for the entire degree. It takes about two years to complete. At the moment it does not have a clinical element but Middlesex are redesigning it over the next couple of years.
You do not get additional clinical skills with this.

What this does is give you academics in your CV. If you wish to move up to management or if you want to move on to the doctorate you need a degree.

During this degree you will write about your EMS experience and submit that for credit. You will choose a thesis topic or project and work with the Middlesex tutors to complete it and submit it for review.

You will defend your thesis here in the UK or via skype. There is no need to come to Europe if you choose not to.

Eventually they aim to include the Critical Care Paramedic or Remote Medic Practitioner into this programme. That is a couple of years off.

Cheers

I believe one of my coworkers is doing this program or one similar.
He had 2 years of university (i think) then switched to EMS . He did a 1 year pcp course and then a 2 year acp course after working a few years. They accepted that as equivocal to a bachelors. I believe he is doing his thesis on spinal immobilization. I will see if I can get him on here to answer some questions.

Thank you both. I saw mention of a BSc of remote medicine on one of the links for people with less experience than the 5 years. Is this still something they're doing? I'm looking for something that will be more research focused than the programs here in the states, and these actually look cheaper than all of the programs here since I would be paying out of state tuition.

I feel like this might be a good option, but I'm having problems finding information on applying, how classes are structured, and a timeline on finishing. Any links or info you can provide would be incredibly helpful.

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
I saw mention of a BSc of remote medicine on one of the links for people with less experience than the 5 years. Is this still something they're doing?

Sadly we had to drop the BSc due to tuition hikes here in the UK. They now want £9k ($14k) per year for the BSc. Add that to the second year tuition and we are looking at a $28k degree.

We are suggesting to interested students that it will be cheaper to wait until you have 3-5 years of paramedic experience and then skip the bachelor's degree and go directly for the master's in remote medicine.

Cheers

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Sadly we had to drop the BSc due to tuition hikes here in the UK. They now want £9k ($14k) per year for the BSc. Add that to the second year tuition and we are looking at a $28k degree.

We are suggesting to interested students that it will be cheaper to wait until you have 3-5 years of paramedic experience and then skip the bachelor's degree and go directly for the master's in remote medicine.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. This is a really interesting idea.