Parachute Consulting accelerated courses not a good idea?

Ramon de la olla

Forum Ride Along
I have been looking into this for a while now, a buddy of mine works for HFD and teaches paramedic classes. I really want to get in on this and I found a program that is accelerated through Parachute Consulting, they called me and have an opening. It would get me the in I need to apply to the HFD and continue from there, but I was reading several other posts and it seems that a lot of you seasoned EMTs out there look down on the quality of the program. I also have read bad things about the program through HCC. Does anyone know anything about this Parachute Consulting group and is this a good way to get my foot in the door here?

I appreciate any information or advice.

Thanks,

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I really want to get in on this and I found a program that is accelerated through Parachute Consulting, they called me and have an opening. It would get me the in I need to apply to the HFD and continue from there, but I was reading several other posts and it seems that a lot of you seasoned EMTs out there look down on the quality of the program. I also have read bad things about the program through HCC. Does anyone know anything about this Parachute Consulting group and is this a good way to get my foot in the door here?

Thanks,
I thinking autocorrect changed "paramedic" to "parachute", or there is a joke I have not caught onto yet? Or perhaps a Parachute company low on business has started training paramedics?

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Never heard of Parachute Consulting. I don't know how they would give you an "in" at getting hired at HFD, though. HFD is civil service. There really aren't any "ins" other than doing well on the tests.

In regards to HFD, yes, they have quite the poor reputation, on both the Fire and EMS side. Of course if you ask an HFD member, they will tell you otherwise, as the Kool-aid is strong in that department. From the outside looking in, though, most cringe at thinking of working there.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Ramon de la olla

Forum Ride Along
I must have been miss understood, I just have a friend who works for HFD and has for some time. He was just a friend I consulted with about options. I really want to get into the field and where I work after the fact isn't the issue. I want to learn. I am a hands on quick learner, thinks clearly and I have a family to provide for. I have been in I.T. for the majority of my life and I can't take it anymore.

I was offered a position in this program that starts next week that would at least get me the opportunity to go from there. I can't do the same old 9 to 5 crap I need something new. My friend in HFD who runs a rig does talk it up but I need a career that is more fulfilling than helping some dumb *** plug in his USB printer.

It's an opportunity and I think I am going to take it and see where it goes. Im ok working my way up from the bottom, done it before.

Educational doesn't stop at this course, it will continue throughout the career by learning from seasoned vets like you all. And I am counting on that.

Rin

Forum Captain
Dumb IT stuff can find you anywhere. My squad broke down once and when I informed dispatch, their first question was, "Did you try turning it off and turning it back on?" :D

Akontrimaite

Forum Ride Along
I have been looking into this for a while now, a buddy of mine works for HFD and teaches paramedic classes. I really want to get in on this and I found a program that is accelerated through Parachute Consulting, they called me and have an opening. It would get me the in I need to apply to the HFD and continue from there, but I was reading several other posts and it seems that a lot of you seasoned EMTs out there look down on the quality of the program. I also have read bad things about the program through HCC. Does anyone know anything about this Parachute Consulting group and is this a good way to get my foot in the door here?

Thanks,

I took this program to get my EMT-B and really enjoyed it. I had a bachelor's in biology already so a lot of the anatomy/physiology stuff wasn't difficult for me. The only thing I would caution you about is that this program requires very few ride along & clinical hours so you don't get a lot of hands on experience. A lot of my on scene learning came from working my first 911 job & my partner medics.

Sherri

Forum Ride Along
Hi, EMS Friends,
I am the founder and CEO of Parachute Consulting LLC. As you have discovered, we are a safety and health consulting firm comprised of degreed, certified professionals with many years of practical experience. I am an Aggie (Bachelor of Science) and an EMT, and I have been an EMS Coordinator (Basic level) for many years; all of our Instructors are EMS and Fire personnel. We believe that our program offers a great beginning to an EMS career. We provide the most current Brady text, a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, a custom notebook and other items as part of the fees. Our courses feature the didactic component with quizzes and exams for each chapter of the book, skills examination, and an Extrication Day before the clinical and field rotations begin. We believe that this is the best sequence for learning - you may be able to learn more and assist more in the ER and on the ambulance if you have completed the classroom portion first. The Extrication Day is held at a fire station and allows students to learn from the medics about the fire and EMS apparatus - afterward, the student groups form teams and work through scenarios: use of a stretcher; use of a stair chair; extrication from a vehicle utilizing a KED, longboard, etc.; use of a traction splint and much more. We provide pizza and drinks - it is a fun way to end the class! We have clinical and field relationships with many area providers, and we schedule hospital rotations before ambulance rotations, so that the introduction to patient care is a smoother transition. The clinical staff is very knowledgeable at each ER and EMS location, and students report very positive interactions on their evaluations. We do not promise anything with regard to admission to HFD, but successful completion of our course culminates in the same Course Completion Certificate that you would receive from any sanctioned program and is thus helpful when applying to HFD or any fire department. We attend to details in our courses: we have oxygen in the tanks for practice, we have real AED trainers, we have dozens of items for students to share and observe, we utilize gloves during skills - we want students to have realistic experiences. The course is fast-paced, but we work hard to ensure that all students are able to pass the NREMT exam, and , most importantly, that students are prepared for work in the EMS field. I invite anyone to contact me with questions or suggestions, as we are always trying to make our courses better - we value the input of dedicated responders any time.
Thank you!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have heard of yall, both good and bad, but have yet to run into one of your students so i haven't been able to form my own impression. We tend to be full up of GC and COM students to be able to take other schools.
That being said, if yall ever need amls, phtls, PALS, or ACLS instructors I know of a couple looking for a gig. And I'm in the process of finishing paperwork to start my TX EMS IC class

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk