Paid Training

elizabethlear

Forum Ride Along
I applied for one of those programs where you are paid to become an EMT-B as long as you make a commitment. I took a written test which had to be passed with an 80 and I passed with an 89. Now I move on to the interview portion which happens in a little over a week. After the interview portion they will be making their selections. I was looking for some advice on the interview.

Here's some info on the class:
-5 weeks long for forty hours a week
-after the 5 weeks of class time is clinical time
-They pay for the certification exam as well, it is the NREMT
-they pay minimum wage for while you are taking the class
-This particular company requires a two year commitment from the day that you are certified and cleared to be on the rig.
-They have many different locations in the region (about 27 in a 70 mile radius) so you aren't necessarily "stuck" in one town for those two years, you can transfer within the company.
-They also have a paramedic academy which you can go into after a year of employment.

Knowing what I've said here, what kinds of things are they looking for and going to be asking?

What kinds of things should I be weary of and what kinds of questions should I ask them?

Thank you all in advance!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If they will pay for all your schooling and guarantee you a job, that's great.

what happens if you don't pass the class? do you have the repay the cost of the class? what about the salary they gave you while in class?

minimum wage is what they pay in class, what do they pay once you pass and are on the truck? how does that compare to your neighbors?

so once you are cleared to be on the rig, and you get fired, do you have to repay them anything?

Can you work elsewhere (part time) during the two year commitment? can you go down to part time if someone else offers you a better option?

Are you going to be on days or nights? will they let you switch to the other? if you need to (family, health, etc), can you, and if not, will they let you out of your contract early?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
-This particular company requires a two year commitment from the day that you are certified and cleared to be on the rig.

The key question is: what do you have to give them if you don't make the two years?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Be wary of an EMS service offering sign on bonuses, which essentially what this is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think EMS agencies growing their own with an education allowance is significantly different than a large cash bonus to entice medics to work for a substandard service.

Using education allowances is actually a very sound recruitment policy. Most agencies lose a fair number of providers to attrition... why not take some action to train staff to your standards and guarantee that they'll stay for a few years.

We paid for paramedic school for a group of medics every year in DE. Most stayed.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What did the ones who left have to repay?

They had a prorated amount that deceased monthly over the 2 years. I don't know any who left before the 2 years were up.

And when I say most stayed, I meant that most stayed even after the required 2 year period. I can only think of one guy who left.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
They had a prorated amount that deceased monthly over the 2 years. I don't know any who left before the 2 years were up.

And when I say most stayed, I meant that most stayed even after the required 2 year period. I can only think of one guy who left.
Interesting - sounds like a successful program. Of course, the Delaware county services seem pretty good themselves (making privates seem...untenable).