lmichelle09

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently enrolled in the EMT-Basic program for this fall. I just have two questions.

What are the pros and cons for working for a private company like Acadian vs. The city of Beaumont?

Do they both offer overtime? Are the benefits the same? What are the schedules like?

Thank you!!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
don't know either.... however cities usually have better benefits than privates companies, and often pay better. But they are much harder to get hired by.

Maybe you should stop by a station and talk to one of the crews about their particular agencies, so you can get a true first hand opinion?

OP
OP
L

lmichelle09

Forum Ride Along
don't know either.... however cities usually have better benefits than privates companies, and often pay better. But they are much harder to get hired by.

Maybe you should stop by a station and talk to one of the crews about their particular agencies, so you can get a true first hand opinion?

Thank you, I'll try that!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Acadian is private, their ESOP gives decent returns. SE TX Acadian is offering tons of OT. Their benefits are okish.
City of Beaumont is a city third service servicing the city itself. They are the primary 911 transport agency for the city. Pay is pretty decent for the area, TMRS retirement (I think), which is good. Benefits are decent TML benefits. I can try to find out more. I'm just west of ya'll across the ferry.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

In this area of TX, privates seem to pay better per hour pay, but have worse benefits.

OP
OP
L

lmichelle09

Forum Ride Along
That's four questions.

Haha, thanks
Acadian is private, their ESOP gives decent returns. SE TX Acadian is offering tons of OT. Their benefits are okish.
City of Beaumont is a city third service servicing the city itself. They are the primary 911 transport agency for the city. Pay is pretty decent for the area, TMRS retirement (I think), which is good. Benefits are decent TML benefits. I can try to find out more. I'm just west of ya'll across the ferry.

Thank you so much for the info! Really do appreciate it!!! I'm newish to this area so I don't anyone really to ask.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any other questions feels free to ask. I've been in the area about two years now and if I don't know, I can find out

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Totally nowhere near this area, but my spin on OT-

When you notice it starts to wear on you take a break. The money is easily addictive, as is the income's lifestyle.

That said, some of the more content people I work with seldom work any overtime, or work just enough so that they balance work/ life just right.

It just goes to show money does not buy happiness. It's a temporary fix to many malcontents. That is all.