organ transport?

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
Hi guys, I was just browsing around youtube and came across a company in the EU called Full control medical logistics. after finding them i found a bunch of services that only transport organs and stat related specimens to hospitals in europe. My question is why don't these companies exist in the US, or do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lhwo5eIsLJ0

My work experience my adult working life has revolved around transportation. I was a bike messenger, medical courier, IFT and hospital transport. I think it would be cool to work for a company like that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because this might happen :D

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3AQ5rTqB8[/YOUTUBE]

Anjel

Forum Angel
As far as organ transplants around here. The harvesting team flies into the airport and one of the EMS companies go get them takes them to the hospital and takes them back. It's usually a priority one call. I had to drive code 100 miles round trip one time.

I hate those calls so much.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
As far as organ transplants around here. The harvesting team flies into the airport and one of the EMS companies go get them takes them to the hospital and takes them back. It's usually a priority one call. I had to drive code 100 miles round trip one time.

Wow...

And why do you hate them? Just curious.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I've had to do it once so far. We left the gurney at the airport in a secured area. Loaded the team and their ice chests into the ambulance and drove normally to the hospital. Had to wait about 6 hours for them to finish up. Loaded everything up inside the ambulance and took them back to their plane driving normally.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wow...

And why do you hate them? Just curious.

Because they cram 6 people, organs, and their equipment in my vanbulance and tell me I have to drive fast. I don't like driving lights and sirens in the first place. And to drive that far is stressful and I think unnecessarily dangerous.

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
We transport transplant teams from the airport as well and it's pretty sweet. They fly into the rich person's part of the airport where we can watch TV and get free drinks and food while waiting on them. Then we wait at the hospital for them while watching movies or gloating to the other crews stopping by to drop off patients. It's a sweet gig in a SSM service. It takes up three quarters of the shift.

But I've also seen an SUV around Oklahoma that says Integris Hospital Organ Transplant Team or something on the side. So I thought they just drove themselves around.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The last thing the team wants you to do is get in a car crash and delay the organ transplant and potentially create another donor...or do they? :)