ONLY ON 7: DC Fire/EMS Chief says private ambulances improve emergency services

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
And they can transport children now too!!!! They must be gods of EMS since we all know privates are so inferior to fire ems. Especially dc fire!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok I can understand something like tiered dispatching where the city ALS units are sent to the more "serious" or acute calls or whatever while sending the private unit to the lower level calls...but did the say the FD gets on scene first THEN says "naw we're not gonna deal with this, let's call AMR" and then walk away?

At least my local FD we run with has the excuse of using non transporting ALS squads so they'll clear if it's BLS and the engine or tuck guys turn over the patient to us, or simply hop in our rig for ALS transports, rather than pull up in an ambulance and say "naw, even though I'm a Paramedic with an ambulance right here right now, I'm gonna drive away and call someone else to deal with you"

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
but did the say the FD gets on scene first THEN says "naw we're not gonna deal with this, let's call AMR" and then walk away?

That's what it sounds like! Though maybe it should be the other way around: AMR gets there and decides it's not life-threatening so they call DC Fire?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok I can understand something like tiered dispatching where the city ALS units are sent to the more "serious" or acute calls or whatever while sending the private unit to the lower level calls...but did the say the FD gets on scene first THEN says "naw we're not gonna deal with this, let's call AMR" and then walk away?

At least my local FD we run with has the excuse of using non transporting ALS squads so they'll clear if it's BLS and the engine or tuck guys turn over the patient to us, or simply hop in our rig for ALS transports, rather than pull up in an ambulance and say "naw, even though I'm a Paramedic with an ambulance right here right now, I'm gonna drive away and call someone else to deal with you"

They don't leave the patient, but do have the ability to call for an AMR unit and allow a DCFEMS BLS or ALS to return to service. With the amount of BS the city runs, I see nothing wrong with this. People call because they want a shower after they leave the homeless shelter, those are the type calls which get handed off to an AMR unit.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
They don't leave the patient, but do have the ability to call for an AMR unit and allow a DCFEMS BLS or ALS to return to service. With the amount of BS the city runs, I see nothing wrong with this. People call because they want a shower after they leave the homeless shelter, those are the type calls which get handed off to an AMR unit.
Not a shocker... Privates getting **** on like privates do... Don't like it? Get on with something better- move up or out.

I have come to realize private EMS isn't changing. As much as we ***** about things in the cab, and to our friends like poor pay, no respect, and constantly taking the trash out- it is considered "unprofessional" or "unethical" to publicly state that the person who calls for toe pain shouldn't be referred to any service - rather they should be told don't call 911 again or the only nurse you'll be seeing is the intake nurse at jail.

Last edited: