Online EMS degree w/ credit for cert

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well I searched and couldn't find much. Does anyone have any good suggestions about an online EMS AAS that gives program credit for current EMT-P/NR-P cert? I know ENMU-R does, but I can't seem to find much else online. AMA in Florida seems to, but I'm waiting for an email back if they'll let non-FL paramedics do the program.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This is a great question that I would also love an answer to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
I am in the process of doing the same. So far I found that Lenoir Community College will give 45 credits towards a degree if you are a current NREMT-P. They offer on-line education to finish the credits you need for the AAS. Didn't see anything about EMT, just NRP.

Also, I was told that Motlow State Community College in TN gives 55, but I haven't explored them as I don't see them offering anything online.

Right now I am in the process of applying at Lenoir. Seeing if any other credits I have can be accepted to add to the 45 for my NRP.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The link in my signature (if it still works) has many programs which can be completed online and give full credit for your EMS credits, but they are all bachelor degrees. If you go that route, I can personally recommend Central Washington University's program; it may save you up to a year's worth of time and tuition. Its also not strictly administrative and builds on advanced clinical practice along with research.

For AAS options, I bet there are a lot because there are so many community colleges in every state. One that I know of off hand is Camden County College's program. I have no idea if its good or not, I have only heard of it. I would start checking every community college in your state to see if any offer online programs, it will save you a lot of money because many colleges charge out of state tuition if your not a resident, regardless if its online learning or not.

http://www.camdencc.edu/academics/departments/paramedic-science/online-degree-completion.cfm

Google revealed some good looking hits with keywords "paramedic online degree completion" here are couple
http://www.somerset.kctcs.edu/Academics/Programs_of_Study/Health_-_EMS_Paramedic.aspx
http://emc.eku.edu/nremt-p-associate-paramedicine-asp-degree-program

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you're from Texas, I would consider a Texas-based school from a tuition cost point of view. The one you posted looks promising. Also, taking classes online for four semesters is a pretty good deal for a bachelor's degree, as long as it delivers what you want and helps you achieve your educational and career goals.

Edit: I just looked at the tuition cost (for instate and out of state) just over 4 grand a year!!?? Holy smokes that is cheap! For my undergrad I was paying about 10 grand a year, and for my masters I am paying almost 18 grand a year. Both at public universities

http://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/he...alth-sciences-–-bachelor-science-tuition-fees

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
TJ, this is exactly where I am in my career, too. I was just talking to DE about this. I looked into UT, but unfortunately CA is on the no-go list for them.

I don't know if anyone brought them up yet, but EKU also offers something similar in regards to AS-paramedic with your license being eligible for some college credits. It sounds also like you challenge out some of their exams and they can count for NR CE's.

I am strongly considering this by the end of the year, or beginning of next to segue to at least my Bachelors. I have some more advanced cert CE's I have to finish later this year for my FP-C I would like to refocus on first though.

Anyhow, good luck, and feel free to shoot me a PM if you get in contact with EKU before I. If I do first, I'll slide you a PM...

http://emergencymedicalcareonlinede...ine-asp#_ga=1.245439876.1879541201.1454198917

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I might do that, since they have it geared for a student to complete their BS program in as little as two years (4 supe semesters)

Don't forget about CLEP exams! You can get credit for things you "just know" (not all schools, but many, will grant credit for CLEP) for cheap ($80 for the exam plus some marginal amount for the "secretarial stuff" the school does).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Don't forget about CLEP exams! You can get credit for things you "just know" (not all schools, but many, will grant credit for CLEP) for cheap ($80 for the exam plus some marginal amount for the "secretarial stuff" the school does).
Crud, I see you beaf me to it, Ep (lol). Theirs (EKU) appeals to me because I can refresh and earn a degree. Plus, they have a cool looking college mascot, which is totally how one bases their college of choice, right?:confused:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
did what? Signed up based on the school mascot? It was a pretty cool "WildCat"

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you're from Texas, I would consider a Texas-based school from a tuition cost point of view. The one you posted looks promising. Also, taking classes online for four semesters is a pretty good deal for a bachelor's degree, as long as it delivers what you want and helps you achieve your educational and career goals.

Edit: I just looked at the tuition cost (for instate and out of state) just over 4 grand a year!!?? Holy smokes that is cheap! For my undergrad I was paying about 10 grand a year, and for my masters I am paying almost 18 grand a year. Both at public universities

http://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/he...alth-sciences-–-bachelor-science-tuition-fees
Lol yea I saw the price and couldn't believe it. That's awesome. I think UT-SA might have just won out, since it'll only be about a third more than an AAS at some of the options.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
CWU was pretty decent. One reason I went with them (besides the fact I was a border state resident and got a discount on tuition) was they added some clinical and research parts to the degree. A lot of the other degree's I looked at were strictly EMS business and administration. I am only 34 years old, I am not ready to fly a desk or a be chief yet, so I didn't want that. At the same time, it still gave me some intro EMS management and business classes I can build on later in my career if I want. The big thing was they accepted most of my EMS college credits, and I could use it for grad school. When I was working in Saudi Arabia, some of the locals were getting paid by Saudi to fly back to the states and go to EKU. I heard good things about it at the time. One thing to consider is all these EMS and paramedic degrees are not created equally; each one is designed very differently than the next. Some focus on research and clinical, some in business and administration, etc.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
CWU was pretty decent. One reason I went with them (besides the fact I was a border state resident and got a discount on tuition) was they added some clinical and research parts to the degree. A lot of the other degree's I looked at were strictly EMS business and administration. I am only 34 years old, I am not ready to fly a desk or a be chief yet, so I didn't want that. At the same time, it still gave me some intro EMS management and business classes I can build on later in my career if I want. The big thing was they accepted most of my EMS college credits, and I could use it for grad school. When I was working in Saudi Arabia, some of the locals were getting paid by Saudi to fly back to the states and go to EKU. I heard good things about it at the time. One thing to consider is all these EMS and paramedic degrees are not created equally; each one is designed very differently than the next. Some focus on research and clinical, some in business and administration, etc.
I'm in agreement with you. The UTSA program appeals to me in a smilar ways in that you can customize the focus of your bachelors with a wide variety of science courses. If I decide to pursue a 2nd degree BSN or go to PA school, I can tailor it to that. And the list of EMS related courses for the BS is pretty nice looking

aas.PNG

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Who and where is EKU?

Eastern Kentucky University if I remember correctly.

I'm in agreement with you. The UTSA program appeals to me in a smilar ways in that you can customize the focus of your bachelors with a wide variety of science courses. If I decide to pursue a 2nd degree BSN or go to PA school, I can tailor it to that. And the list of EMS related courses for the BS is pretty nice looking

View attachment 3426

From my understanding you're going to have to carry a lot of credits into UTHSCSA's program. I can't remember if you need an AAS or not but I know there's a fair amount you have to have finished already before you can even apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk