OneScope VL

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Interesting. Looks like a C-Mac clone. Curious how durable it would be, especially the slide and click mechanism. First impression looks a little flimsy.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
VL has entered the realm of ubiquity....there was a time when it was truly frontier and the design was truly up for grabs (google the Bullard scope). Now its just a variation on a theme that is tried and true and as long as the tweaks stay within established, proven parameters, one is as good as the other.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Did anyone play with this one yet? We're getting one to try. Our King Visions are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Please let us know how you like it.

We've been looking for an all-in-one solution for VL. We use King Vision right now, but can't use them for peds, can't use them with magills, and they only have one size.

These have 4 sizes from large adult to neonate. I've also been screaming at VL manufacturers for years to add recording and this one has it. Nice. [emoji108]

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

We've been looking for an all-in-one solution for VL. We use King Vision right now, but can't use them for peds, can't use them with magills, and they only have one size.

These have 4 sizes from large adult to neonate. I've also been screaming at VL manufacturers for years to add recording and this one has it. Nice. [emoji108]
The CMAC has all of those bases covered also.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Why can’t you use King Vision with magills?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why can’t you use King Vision with magills?

Lots of places only use channeled blades. Maybe that causes difficulty with magills. I honestly have not used the KV with magills. Anytime I've used them to clear a FBAO, it's been under DL.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Lots of places only use channeled blades. Maybe that causes difficulty with magills. I honestly have not used the KV with magills. Anytime I've used them to clear a FBAO, it's been under DL.
I've never used a channeled blade. I've heard reference to them plenty of times but never thought much about what it actually was. I just had to google it to see what it looks like.

Not to take this too far off topic, but what is the point of a channeled blade? Why would anyone design an airway device in such a way as to take up so much space in the airway? Or choose to use one that does? Is i just to avoid needing a stylet?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've never used a channeled blade. I've heard reference to them plenty of times but never thought much about what it actually was. I just had to google it to see what it looks like.

Not to take this too far off topic, but what is the point of a channeled blade? Why would anyone design an airway device in such a way as to take up so much space in the airway? Or choose to use one that does? Is i just to avoid needing a stylet?

It's really to take the guesswork out of the intubation. If you place an ET in a KV channel and get the correct view, the geometry of the channel puts the tube in the glottic opening every time. Jeff Jarvis has a great video that shows the technique he teaches for using a KV, and we've adopted it here. It's dramatically improved first-pass success rate for the infrequent intubators that most paramedics (including myself) truly are.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
It's really to take the guesswork out of the intubation. If you place an ET in a KV channel and get the correct view, the geometry of the channel puts the tube in the glottic opening every time. Jeff Jarvis has a great video that shows the technique he teaches for using a KV, and we've adopted it here. It's dramatically improved first-pass success rate for the infrequent intubators that most paramedics (including myself) truly are.
Second. With a channeled blade intubation is beyond easy once you learn the Jarvis method. Several times I've intubated while not even bring in axis with the head, but rather over a shoulder or something. First pass success is near 100% at my department and we use only channel blades.

It's not just the size of the blade that's an issue for McGill, it's the angle. You physically cannot get both a KV and McGill's into the larynx. I know. I've tried.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my flight medical directors, an anesthesiologist, once said reference recording intubations.

Do you want to go to a baseball game and learn how the hot dog is made, or would you rather just enjoy the hot dog and the game?

Im inclined to agree.

We use the mcgrath, no recording capability but it works.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my flight medical directors, an anesthesiologist, once said reference recording intubations.

Do you want to go to a baseball game and learn how the hot dog is made, or would you rather just enjoy the hot dog and the game?

Im inclined to agree.

We use the mcgrath, no recording capability but it works.
I don't understand the analogy.

Recorded intubations are great to use for coaching when a single provider has low success rates, or for education (burns, hangings, etc)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I don't understand the analogy.

Recorded intubations are great to use for coaching when a single provider has low success rates, or for education (burns, hangings, etc)
Once we fully start to record our intubations this is how we will be using it. Our medical directors will review the videos and offer helpful points. Truly interesting or difficult intubations will be incorporated into a chart review that is offered company wide.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The new C-Mac's can snap a picture but I do not think they can record. It is nice feature for education and documentation. Love the AirwayCam book and video series.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Also understand this was Kentucky where EVERYthing is discoverable. We certainly didnt discount the educational value of it, but he successfuly convinced the higher ups that they dont want a video record of that 1 in 100 intubation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The new C-Mac's can snap a picture but I do not think they can record. It is nice feature for education and documentation. Love the AirwayCam book and video series.
If you hold down the multifunction button for a couple of seconds it will start to record. Push the button to end the recording. A quick press of the button snaps a picture.

Reactions: NPO