older paramedic--career change

Gaz

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I am new to this forum and I am not an EMT (yet). I am 36 years old and I am thinking about making a career change from healthcare administration to becoming a paramedic. I have done a quite a few ride-a-longs and have attended my wife's emergency medicine workshops on occasion (she is a medical student planning on going into emergency medicine). I am writing on here because I have a couple of questions:

First, I am from San Diego, and I am enrolled in an EMT-B class starting in April. Does anyone know if all programs require a year working as an EMT-B before doing the paramedic program? I am concerned about the wages of an EMT-B as I am supporting both my wife and myself at this point. Also, is financial aid available during the paramedic training?

Second, It seems like many paramedics start a lot younger than myself. Does anyone know if I will have trouble getting a job once I finish my paramedic training? I know it depends on the market, but if anyone has any insight into the San Diego market that would be great, or if anyone has advice for starting out as an older student it would be much appreciated.

Lastly, is there such a thing as an intensive program that I can get my EMT-B and P at the same time? I feel like I FINALLY know what I really want to do with my life and I can't wait!!

Thanks so much for any advice!! I really appreciate it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First of all, welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction. :D

I'm not a paramedic, but I will try to answer your questions the best I can. Fear not, for if I give you incorrect information, there are plenty of people here to correct me. ;)

As far as the year wait between EMT-B and Paramedic, that is really up to the program your in unless your state has some law against it (like mine).

Your age will probably not be a factor and may actually benefit you. Since you've "been around the block a few times" employers may believe that you've settled down and aren't doing this on a lark. Also, it may benefit you when dealing with patients, coworkers, and the public in general as long as you don't step on your own toes.

As far as the program for getting your EMT-B and Paramedic at the same time, I've never heard of one. I would also be very leary of anyone who got their certification that way. There was a thread here a short time ago about how you could get your EMT-B in 14 days.

Here is the thread: Get your EMT-B in 14 days

Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe that CA uses the NREMT for their paramedic level certification. SafetyPro will probably have more information on this.

Again, welcome to the forum and I hope I was able to answer your questions. Make sure you stick around and post a while, 'cuz this is a great place to learn.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Welcome to the group!

I also have never heard of a combined EMT B & P class. I don't think it would be possible as the EMT B is considered the first part of being a paramedic and the amount of classes/clinical time would be impossible to do within the same semester. I'm in FLorida and to even enroll in EMT p you have to be a NREMT B first.

As far as financial aide...Like I said I'm in FL, but your system might be similar. I'm going through both programs on a grant from the state. The only catch is I have to be degree-seeking so I had a few other classes to take along with the programs. Call your schools local financial aide office and they will set you up with the right forms/contact numbers to financial aide available in your area.

As far as the rest I'm with ffemt8978, maybe someone will come along and correct us :p

Good luck in your endevours, the classes are fun and I'm sure you'll do well!!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I have not heard of doing both either. Anyone I have ever talked to suggested waiting a year to go through the Paramedic school to get some experience under your belt. As far as your age is concerned I think, as I am only 2 years older than you, that our age helps in a way as we are supposed to be more mature than say a 22 year old... :D Welcome to the site!!

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
congrats and welcome to hell....... j/k. Anyway to try and help answer some of your questions, no I don't believe you can get both at once. I teach in NY and we offer a program through the university to get your EMT-B and the following year get your medic, but that's a close as I have seen it done. As for waiting, it usually is a good idea to get your feet wet as an emt-b first, but my partner at work went straight from Basic to paramedic and he's probably the best partner I have ever had. very smart and very aggressive when it come to pt care, so it depends on the person. Last, your age won't matter at all. it might even help you with Pt interactions becuse you don't look like some 18 year old kid. I have had 50-something year old people in my program and they did fine, so don't worry about the age thing at all. It's going to be tough to support you and your wife on an EMT-B paycheck for a little bit, but if you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Good luck!

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Gosh colarodoemt - your old! :D

Career changes at any age are good if they make you happy.

BTW - I will be "29" again this year.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Feb 4 2005, 05:33 PM

Oh no you didn't!! :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Feb 5 2005, 04:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Feb 5 2005, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Margaritaville@Feb 4 2005, 05:33 PM

Oh no you didn't!! :lol: [/b][/quote]
Hi mom, Hi dad, Hi Gramps - This is the 19 y/o fourm smartass posting (not to be confuzzled with the 24 year old smartass - PArescueEMT)

Around here there is one program that will teach EMT and EMT-P together. I personally belive that the idea in general is bad, and that program in specific, which charges 17K for EMT-P school alone, and 3K+ for EMT school are a bunch of robbers. They make certifed transport EMTs, who will show up in the ED (happened yesterday in clinical) and say gee...I don't know anything about this dialysis patient, she just started siezing on the way home - no patient info, nothing. they had to call dispatch and speak with a supervisor to get the info...

This progam is designed to turn a high profit by seperating people from their money by letting them into a program that they cannot pass.

Oh, and I'm only paying 8K for my -P school, right down the street from these folks.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Don't forget you have a 26 y/o smart *** here too!

EMT-b school here is around $1000, and EMT-P around $8000 through our college. I keep hearing everyone say EMT-B's should work a year before going to medic school. I agree, and as much as I'd rather do that for personal comfort and experience, the only way I can afford any of this is with my grant which requires my going through medic school now. Am I screwed? I hope not. Our county service's training program will put me through 3 months of EMT-B training then 9 months (respectively...depends on how the trainee does) of EMT-P training.
It's pretty scary, but it's all I can do.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Gaz!
Congratulations on your journey to paramedicine. I would suggest talking to an academic advisor at the school you are interested in and get the information from "the horse's mouth". The advisor could probably also direct you to financial aid for school.
I have only heard of getting the Basic certification before the paramedic cert. I believe it is a prerequisite for paramedic school in most states, although I could be mistaken.
As far as waiting....I think it depends on the person. I went through EMT-B class and was in paramedic school a couple of months later and have done just fine. I think it depends on the individual and what fits best in their life at the time.
Best of luck to you!
:)

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Hi Gaz and welcome.

I have been reading what was said here, and asked around a bit. I believe that I have come to a consensus, The 1 year wait will do more good than anything. I am a PAEMT-B and have been for almost 6 years. I am in school for my NREMT-P now and am finding alot of it very easy (so far). I think that the more experience you have, the better you will do.

Good luck on your ventures, and hope you post again soon.

Zak

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 5 2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Gaz and welcome.

I have been reading what was said here, and asked around a bit. I believe that I have come to a consensus, The 1 year wait will do more good than anything. I am a PAEMT-B and have been for almost 6 years. I am in school for my NREMT-P now and am finding alot of it very easy (so far). I think that the more experience you have, the better you will do.

Good luck on your ventures, and hope you post again soon.

Zak
RESCUEEMT - it is only so easy 'cause it is only the SECOND DAY of class

You are still re-learning blood pressures.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 6 2005, 05:12 PM
I believe that on my first day, they taught us something you had just gotten too...
that is because my instructor is better than yours.....He teaches us stuff in order of importance, not which chapter it is in the book.....

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 6 2005, 05:34 PM
That was Chapter 4 of volume 1... last week we did Chapter 2 of Volume 1.
yeah - but you haven't done ACLS or intubations yet

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 6 2005, 05:56 PM
2 more weeks for tubes, ACLS is next semester.
Ha-Ha..ACLS was the first semester, right after basic Cardiolology

Jon

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Good Lord MedicStudentJohn,

I guess I could almost be your Mom. Lets see, I would have been pregnant at about 10??????