Old school

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
OK so the question is with these new monitors etc. do you ever do a manual Bp or actually take a pulse?
I had mentioned in another post that I have been in and out of running ems call for 24 years and past couple of years got back into things.
With these new monitors I find everyone goes right to it to take a B/P and I must say I like it but still like to take a manual B/P first then after that I'll depend on the monitor . I do much of the same with the pulse ox. I take a manual pulse then move on to the machines. So the question is am I an odd ball? ( I mean I know I am but about this at least)
I just don't like to depend 100 % on those things.:rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I always take a manual pulse usually apically and at the radial or brachial. I also continue to monitor the pulse manually periodically during transport.

The BP depends on the patient. If the radial is weak or thready, I do a baseline manually first and then the monitor. If some do the monitor first, they try to "match" what they hear with the numbers from the monitor.

skyemt

Forum Captain
OK so the question is with these new monitors etc. do you ever do a manual Bp or actually take a pulse?
I had mentioned in another post that I have been in and out of running ems call for 24 years and past couple of years got back into things.
With these new monitors I find everyone goes right to it to take a B/P and I must say I like it but still like to take a manual B/P first then after that I'll depend on the monitor . I do much of the same with the pulse ox. I take a manual pulse then move on to the machines. So the question is am I an odd ball? ( I mean I know I am but about this at least)
I just don't like to depend 100 % on those things.:rolleyes:

you shouldn't rely on them at all...
electronic BP's can be notoriously inaccurate, and you really don't need the pulse-ox for anything... it will hardly ever alter your treatment...

the only way to have a solid baseline set of vitals is to take them yourself!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I take a baseline B/P manually and then an electronic one for comparison. For long transports I will use an electronic one if it appears to within reason, and every so often still do a manual for comparison.

Pulse I will check (one needs to check strength & other descriptions).

R/r 911

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
I was about to chime in with my belief that taking a manual set of vital signs is a best-practice, when the thought occurred to me: "I can't back that belief with a factual argument." So if you don't mind too much, let me play a bit of devil's-advocate here:

1) My local hospital e/r always goes to the machines.

2) Ditto the trauma center in the next city over.

3) If the machines are good enough for the trauma center and the local e/r, who am I to go around believing that they aren't good enough for me?

All that said, my preference is to grab a manual set of vitals, if only to keep in good practice for when the machines aren't around, or for when the batteries die (like they did on me yesterday).

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Most hospitals also have policies that a manual BP must be taken if the BP varies X amount or if there is any clinical question. An Arterial line will usually be inserted in trauma if time before the OR (or it is done in the OR) and in the ICUs to assess BP and a cuff will also remain in place to verify line measurements. Oxygenation/ventilation can be verified with an ABG/CO-OX to trend the SpO2. Central lines will be inserted to monitor CVP for fluid levels. Rectal or esophageal temperature probes will be placed if the lactate levels are high for a sepsis protocol.

Many people with many different levels of expertise will be assessing the patient. There are many different checks ongoing by many different people in the hospital to thoroughly assess every patient. We even have doctors and RNs at a remote site monitoring by videocam all of our ICU patients and asking questions periodically if something doesn't look right.

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Initial BP is always a manual for me. Then I get an electronic....then I recheck with a manual if there's a change in the BP or if I have time during a longer transport.

Can't beat a good set of ears...plus it helps keep you trained at your skills.

-Matt

skyemt

Forum Captain
I was about to chime in with my belief that taking a manual set of vital signs is a best-practice, when the thought occurred to me: "I can't back that belief with a factual argument." So if you don't mind too much, let me play a bit of devil's-advocate here:

1) My local hospital e/r always goes to the machines.

2) Ditto the trauma center in the next city over.

3) If the machines are good enough for the trauma center and the local e/r, who am I to go around believing that they aren't good enough for me?

All that said, my preference is to grab a manual set of vitals, if only to keep in good practice for when the machines aren't around, or for when the batteries die (like they did on me yesterday).

i always love how the medics take manual set of vitals, and the basics insist on using the gadgets, and playing devil's advocate and the like...

that must mean something... hmmm....

the hospital uses superior equipment than what's on our ambulance anyway, and the patient is in his gown, proper placement of the cuff is assured, and the hospital/bed/patient/machine are not bouncing around...

hardly apples to apples...

also, using the "its good enough for me" argument, the hospital relies on advanced techniques... so, i should assume you are in Medic class?
since that is what's good enough for the hospital, it must be good enough for you?

skyemt

Forum Captain
also, just out of curiosity...

if you don't have a very long transport, and you have enough crew resources, what is the advantage of even using the electronic BP?

it's not like manually taking one is a taxing technique, or one that takes more than a minute?

is it lack of confidence in being able to take a BP?

just wondering.

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
i always love how the medics take manual set of vitals,
and the basics insist on using the gadgets, and playing devil's advocate and the like...

that must mean something... hmmm....

No need to insult me. And there is no medic versus Basic issue here at all. The truth is that I am often in the field with more senior people, some of them medics, and some Basics, who prefer using the machines. I have just about the least seniority in my service. I can hardly hold up a call and say to the person in charge: "whoa there, I need to take manual blood-pressure because some dudes on a forum said so."

There is nothing in my protocols about taking manual vitals.

There is nothing in my textbook, that I can recall, arguing that manual vitals are better.

I cannot point to any run in my personal experience in which care was compromised due to machine-taken vitals, so I cannot (yet) argue from personal experience.

The local hospital emergency rooms use the machines.

Most (all?) of the more experienced medics and Basics whom I run with use the machines.

I am not trying to be argumentative here. It would just be nice to have some authoritative sources (preferably print sources) to point to when discussing the issue of manually-taken versus machine-taken vital signs.

My preference, for my own reasons, is to try and get a manually-taken BP and pulse. But I don't yet feel that I can discuss the issue with others and make a strong case for doing so. I'm honestly not entirely convinced on the point myself.

skyemt

Forum Captain
No need to insult me. And there is no medic versus Basic issue here at all. The truth is that I am often in the field with more senior people, some of them medics, and some Basics, who prefer using the machines. I have just about the least seniority in my service. I can hardly hold up a call and say to the person in charge: "whoa there, I need to take manual blood-pressure because some dudes on a forum said so."

There is nothing in my protocols about taking manual vitals.

There is nothing in my textbook, that I can recall, arguing that manual vitals are better.

I cannot point to any run in my personal experience in which care was compromised due to machine-taken vitals, so I cannot (yet) argue from personal experience.

The local hospital emergency rooms use the machines.

Most (all?) of the more experienced medics and Basics whom I run with use the machines.

I am not trying to be argumentative here. It would just be nice to have some authoritative sources (preferably print sources) to point to when discussing the issue of manually-taken versus machine-taken vital signs.

My preference, for my own reasons, is to try and get a manually-taken BP and pulse. But I don't yet feel that I can discuss the issue with others and make a strong case for doing so. I'm honestly not entirely convinced on the point myself.

there is no insult intended here whatsoever... perhaps you are new to the forum... but if you research past threads out here, you will find that in general, medics prefer tried and true methods, while basics will want to use all gadgets possible. just an accurate observation of the threads i have read on this site.

i myself am a Basic, and i am not putting down basics in any way shape or form. this is strictly about manual vitals, as a baseline, versus just using the machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
there is no insult intended here whatsoever...

I may have read too much into your earlier post then. I'm sorry for that.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm interested in best-practices. I'd like to develop a sound foundation for discussing the issue of manual versus machine-taken vital signs with coworkers.

It might be interesting, actually, to begin a "Best Practice" thread on the topic of taking blood-pressures. It's been in the back of my mind to perhaps begin such a thread, but I've got some reading (and rereading) on the topic that I want to do first.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I take manual vitals. I cannot stress enough the importance of having hands on contact with your patients. The human touch is reassuring and begins the trust relationship that can allow your patient to stop the fear based response to the situation they are in.

Some like the machines, and frankly I haven't seen a bias with either Paramedics or EMTs on the preference. Personally, if a machine confirms what I see, I will allow it to monitor for changes. But my first preference will always be hands on, manual vitals.

skyemt

Forum Captain
I take manual vitals. I cannot stress enough the importance of having hands on contact with your patients. The human touch is reassuring and begins the trust relationship that can allow your patient to stop the fear based response to the situation they are in.

Some like the machines, and frankly I haven't seen a bias with either Paramedics or EMTs on the preference. Personally, if a machine confirms what I see, I will allow it to monitor for changes. But my first preference will always be hands on, manual vitals.

i couldn't agree more, and that's really all i was saying...
anyone who has used the machine will attest to the fact that you can get some CRAZY readings... if you don't have a manual BP as a baseline, how would you know??

and i still don't see the advantage... you should be able to take a manual BP in short order.

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
anyone who has used the machine will attest to the fact that you can get some CRAZY readings...

Yeah, it only took a couple of times reporting crazy BP readings such as 60/80 in my radio patch before I began to think more critically about what the machine was telling me.

skyemt

Forum Captain
Yeah, it only took a couple of times reporting crazy BP readings such as 60/80 in my radio patch before I began to think more critically about what the machine was telling me.

i don't really know how to put this, but if you are actually reporting a BP of 60/80 over the radio, you have more pressing issues than machines vs. manual BP.

perhaps, you don't feel confident in your understanding of BP's?
if that is not the case, please explain your thoughts while you were reporting such a number of the radio.

also, perhaps you don't feel confident in your skill to take a BP?

unfortunately too often, i have found the machines are used not to ease the workload, but to cover the inadequacies felt by an emt.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I may be a little late chiming in, but here's the deal regarding NIBP's. There are no NIBP manufacturers that will say that their NIBP's are dead on accurate. They are only meant for trends.

There is only one method of obtaining a blood pressure that is as accurate as a manual. That is a properly zeroed and properly functioning Arterial Line.

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
i don't really know how to put this, but if you are actually reporting a BP of 60/80 over the radio, you have more pressing issues than machines vs. manual BP.

Well, I'm sorry I ever got into this discussion. If you never did anything similarly silly early on in your career, then you're a better man than I am.

I don't recall whether the numbers were upside down like 60/80. I just remember once or twice reading the numbers off the machine only to immediately realize that they couldn't possibly be true. And that is how I learned not to trust the machine.