Old college credits

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Anyone know how long old college credits are good for? I just realized I have 50+ college credits from 95' to 2000 and I'm thinking I might go back and at least finish out my AA.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Depends on the class and the college. From the research I've done science classes usually expire after 5-7 years.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Depends on the class and the college. From the research I've done science classes usually expire after 5-7 years.

That is generous.

For most classes for science majors I have seen, 3-5 is the limit unless you are actively and continuously in upper level work.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The school I went/go to.... The credits are good for 10 years . Some major classes were 2to 4

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Depends on the class. A&P for example expired around 5 years at the college I went to but liberal arts classes did not or had a very long expiration date

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As above.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Anyone know how long old college credits are good for? I just realized I have 50+ college credits from 95' to 2000 and I'm thinking I might go back and at least finish out my AA.

I had some credits from '94-'96 that transferred, but sciences generally last seven years IIRC. Visit the Dean or whoever runs the particular degree program you're looking to take. They'll tell you right on the spot what flies and what doesn't.

Also, realize that schools may want you to have taken 25% of the credits from their school. For example, I'm going to finish my EMS AAS at my local CC. I was 11 credits short of the degree, but I have to take 18 credits to satisfy the 25% rule. I guess it's a money thing, because in the State if Virginia, there's reciprocity from all of the CC's, and all these CC credits transfer to the State Universities. We also get automatic admission to a State University if we get a degree in a State CC.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Read the thread - 5-7 years for Sciences seems to be the standard. The expiration on Liberal Arts credits seems to be very... liberal hahaha

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Luckily I was leaving most of my science related classes to be done last so it's pretty much all general Ed stuff. I just spoke with a couple of legit private colleges that have online programs and they said everything will transfer but I will have to take a test for the math course I took to prove I remember any of it (I probably don't). It sounds like Houston Community college will give me some of the credits. Maybe as many as 24 toward my core and may let me apply some of the remainder to electives but they couldn't guarantee anything until I bring in a official transcript. They also have a program that may allow some "life credit" for my volly work and basic and medic course.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know what it ends up shaking down to.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

So after talking to about 10 different schools including private and public here's what I've found out. I had a total of 66 credits toward a criminal justice associates (if I'd been paying attention I could have taken one physical fitness class and finished the degree).

There is no official time limit on general Ed classes. Technical and professional classes do however expire in 5 to 7 years generally.

It is up to the schools to decide which courses to take or not take. Nearly all the schools I spoke with would allow me to take a good chunk of my classes. University of Pheonix would have given me credit for nearly all my course but I would have to enroll in their 4 year program to be able to bring them all in which is some major cash.

A NREMT basic certification can be converted into 6 credit hours of lower division course work at most schools.

I can't remember what an intermediate I worth but I think it's about 9 credits.

A NREMT paramedic certification is worth 18 credits of lower division course work at most schools.

It's possible to get another 24+ credits for life experience if you're willing to write essays on specific topics. Again this credit can only be applied to lower division course requirements.

For profit schools like University of Pheonix can actually be negotiated with in regards to which credits they will take. I went back and forth between two of them like i was buying a car and in the end university of pheonix was willing to accept all but 6 of my existing credits if I enrolled in their bachelors program.

I finally contacted El Paso community college where I got all but 6 of the original
credits. Turns out all I need to do is take 16 additional credits to replace the criminal justice courses (which as technical courses have expired), and a math course and I've got my AA. I don't even have to take all of these courses at EPCC. As long as I take one course at EPCC in the semester I graduate in I can take the other courses anywhere I want as long as they meet the requirements.

So I'm off to Houston community college tomorrow morning to get signed up. If I get the classes I need I will get my AA about the same time I get my P patch :) hell yeah!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Awesome news! Congrats!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good on you. Things seem liberal there, but while credits may or may not be recognized, usually a degree is anywhere.