Oilfield emt.

Wmf38

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I'm new to the website so forgive me if what I'm about to ask is in another thread. I'm about to graduate EMT-B and recently found out that oilfield hires medics, most of my family are in some form of oilfield job, so the field is a great interest to me I have been told that they do employ at a EMT-B level but that's all I know and there are little to no info online. Does anyone have any info to help me out? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Google something along the lines of "oilfield medic jobs" and follow the rabbit hole. There really isnt much of a secret. I would think you start with the "most of my family" thats already in the business, but thats just me.

Keep in mind before/during your search that you are borderline unemployable in this capacity. The preference is for medics, so you're screwed there. You also have no EMS experience, so you cant even make the argument that you're a hot shot basic who can get the job done. Unless you have substantial oil field experience(which if you did, I doubt you'd be here soliciting info on how to get an oilfield job), you simply aren't qualified for the job you want. Sure, people get jobs they aren't qualified for everyday, but thats usually somewhere in the middle of their career. You're at the genesis of yours.

You need EMS experience to sell yourself as an EMT. If you really want to work in the patch, you can do it; just not tomorrow. Get a job using your emt card, consider medic school(or a career where you can make a living without killing yourself) and go from there.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Very few oil companies hire EMTs directly. Most oil leases subcontract all aspects of safety out to other companies, which are usually local.

Your best bet is to find out where you want to work and then apply around there.

As an EMT in an oil field, EMT will almost always be a secondary role. Usually your job will be security or safety officer, who is also an EMT. Truth is, accidents happen very rarely on oil leases, so the need for full time EMS is not needed. Generally the EMTs are just for basic needs, first aid and the local ambulance company will transport.

Confined space rescue services is another area you can look into, although many of these companies look for additional certifications in their applicants.

Additionally, most oilfield EMTs don't make a career out of it. I know several, and most of them are part time, or do it full time until something better opens up. Contrary to popular belief, it is generally not an exceptionally well paying job. Offshore oil pays better, but there are trade offs, like the schedule. If it works for you, that's another route.

This is however just my experience from living in the #1 oil producing county in the country.

Your mileage may vary.