Oh yes, flying sucks.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Here's the clean version of my New Years adventure with 3 different airlines and states I never wanted to visit:

I spent New Years Eve roaming around the country. We didn't see any fireworks, and midnight hit while we were in baggage claim.

So, Sarah & I were supposed to fly out of Baltimore, MD to meet up with a connection in Detroit, MI. Then we'd continue on to San Francisco.

"Neener!" said the God of Aircraft Maintenance. The DC-9 that was supposed to pick us up in Baltimore (BWI) was broken down somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin. Northwest was ferrying in another aircraft to take over for our flight, and it would only be an hour late. Not a problem because we had a 90 minute layover.

Right.

About 10 minutes before the emergency backup aircraft from Bob's Rent-A-Wreck in Detroit was supposed to arrive, we find out that it hadn't even left Detroit yet. Bob probably needed to run over to a MOPAR warehouse to replace the seeping rear main seal or something. In any case, we were royally screwed.
The Northwest Airlines people were actually really friendly and helpful. The gate supervisor quickly printed up tickets for us on another airline. So Sarah & I wound up with 2 first class tickets on a United Airlines flight going from Baltimore, MD to Los Angeles, CA with a connecting flight to San Francisco.

Or so we thought. We get to the United gates to find that the BWI - LAX flight is delayed by an hour due to some air traffic control mess in Chicago, and the United gate employee basically tells us "Sorry, this flight is oversold anyway, and we won't honor these tickets. Like, go away or something."

So we go back over to Northwest, who calls United and chews them out to no avail. American Airlines is also taking some of the Northwest refugees but there aren't any seats anywhere we needed to go. If we were going to Dallas/Fort Worth, we might have been ok.

Northwest eventually came up with another idea - Delta Air Lines. They quickly got into the system, paid for our new tickets, printed up everything, and got us seats. The catch: use the self-service kiosk and tell them you're checking 0 bags, and don't talk to any Delta employees.

So we headed over to Delta's check in counted naturally, our boarding passes get printed with "SSSS" on them. I can only assume that it means "Super Secret Strip Search." It's when the TSA dorks just pat you down. Our flurry of last-minute changes from 3 different airlines probably looked really bizarre in a computer somewhere.
No big deal. The TSA thing took less than 2 minutes, and nobody got strip searched.

We got on our Delta flight early, which was nice. The aircraft (an MD-88) only had about 20 passengers on it. We flew to Atlanta, GA and sat around for a while.
My god, what a foul place it was. There were uncontrollable screaming children everywhere and it was raining, hot, and muggy as hell. The next flight was a packed full 767-300 heading for San Francisco. Sarah & I were able to get some seats in the middle so we could sit together. Delta's 767s have a 2-3-2 seating configuration, and the 3rd seat was occupied by a fat guy watching the DVD for "Ice Age II."
The flight had a movie, too. Lucky us, the movie screen hung RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. They actually come out with the screen and hang it from a mount attached to the overhead bins. The movie was "The Queen" - ugh. boring. Anyway, the movie screen & the tv shows they aired were annoying as hell. I don't give a crap about Cirque de Soleil opening up in Atlanta because damn it, I wanted to sleep.
We got back to San Francisco just before midnight.

Oh yeah, I have absolutely no idea where my luggage is. Northwest didn't show it in their system, but Delta did, which is an absolute miracle. Both airlines use the same courier service, and both of their baggage offices have reports to look out for the bags (which were tagged properly, fortunately) and they'll deliver them to us when they arrive.

Sarah & I got her car from the parking lot and skillfully avoided all of the drunk idiots that were piling onto Hwy 101 at 1am. We came home and crashed into bed HARD. heh. I need some $^%#@ coffee.

Interesting notes:
* The Baltimore/Washington Int'l Airport has a display case of stuff from Thurgood Marshall exhibit. He was born in Baltimore, MD.
* The observation platform at BWI is fantastic. Lots of aircraft parts and interesting information.
* Airlines have a neat way of getting into each others reservation systems, just like travel agents do. And our first class seats, had they actually been available and United cooperative, would have been just under $450. That's the price that Northwest was going to be paying United, anyway. First Class on a cross country flight would have been nice. Too bad United told us to go sod off.

* I hate flying.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
oh, hun, i'm sorry. traveling can be so awesome and so awful--almost always eventful. i hate flying, too, but mostly bc i have to be so loaded up with tranquilizers just to make it on the plane without being totally and completely disruptive--despite traveling many many places throughout my entire life:wacko: :D
<---out of my mind when it comes to things like airplanes and cars, but not including ambulances!

anyway, i hope you get your stuff back

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for stopping at the world's busiest airport. As far as the weather goes, if I'd have known you were coming, I would have put out some chamber of commerce weather for you.

Not every place is as pretty as the San Jose/Sunnyvale area.

Jeff

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, by the way,

When you die, if you fly Delta, you WILL come through Atlanta. Just a pleasant little thought for your new year.

Jeff

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Oh, by the way,

When you die, if you fly Delta, you WILL come through Atlanta. Just a pleasant little thought for your new year.

Jeff

hah, or Dallas/Ft Worth. I worked for Delta Air Lines many years ago and on the red eye flights, we'd load in coffins. Every single night, there was a dead body or two going out on the red eye.

Atlanta seems like a nice place. I'm just not too fond of the muggy weather. :) And large airports filled with cranky holiday travelers are never fun places to be. Please don't think I was being mean to Atlanta. :)

Our weather here sucks too. I actually wish that it would rain MORE!

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
i hate flying, too, but mostly bc i have to be so loaded up with tranquilizers

I had munched down 4mg of valium too. I get really anxious when flying.. almost to the panic attack level. Y'know, sweating, pulse of 125, breathing 30 times a minute, and digging my fingernails into my girlfriend's leg. :D

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
That's OK...I crack on Atlanta every chance I get...Btw, my dad and mom lived in Sunnyvale waaaaayy back in the day...Dad was stationed at Moffett Field. He has many, many tales of Steven's Creek. Mostly drunk stories, but stories none the less.<_<

I apologize if my sarcasm was misconstrued.....

Jeff

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
OK, Atlanta is muggy, Dallas is crowded and Chicago is well, Chicago. On the other hand, I've flown into all of them and never had shots fired at the aircraft like I did flying into an Air Force "location" in God's own kitty litter box. Kinda puts things into perspective whenever I get shafted by the airlines. :p

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
That's OK...I crack on Atlanta every chance I get...Btw, my dad and mom lived in Sunnyvale waaaaayy back in the day...Dad was stationed at Moffett Field. He has many, many tales of Steven's Creek. Mostly drunk stories, but stories none the less.<_<

Oh, no problem. :)

Moffett Field is still a cool place. I had a 6 month IT gig at the NASA Ames Research Center. It was fun watching some of the funky aircraft flying in & out.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
We are just happy you made it back home safe and sound!!! have a good day at work, be safe!:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
DFW and Hartsfield-Jackson are HUGE freaking airports... I flew through both last fall.

Anyway - flying sucks, and it is a vicious cycle... we all expect something to go bad, so we give the airline staff a hard time. When something does go bad, we go and yell and scream at folks who, at one point, actually cared about their customers, but now get yelled at and scrutinezed so bad that they've given up caring and just try and do their jobs. For example - the baggage claim staff are not psycics... they don't know where your bag is, and even if they DID know it fell off the trolly at DFW, they don't have Mr. Scott's Transporter, so they can't really do anything about it anyway.

Oh, and as for SSSS - We got that on our tickets out of Philly when we went down south... They were one way tickets ordered online <24 hours before the flight... that sets you up for intensive screening. Funny thing is - my travelling companions had the TSA guys play with me a little bit so they could sneak into the newstand and buy a "PLAYGIRL" magazine to hide in my bag as a prank later... really freaking funny, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDoll

Forum Captain
I had munched down 4mg of valium too. I get really anxious when flying.. almost to the panic attack level. Y'know, sweating, pulse of 125, breathing 30 times a minute, and digging my fingernails into my girlfriend's leg. :D

okay, imagine this plus being very vocal about a fear of flying...i can't stop myself from saying things like "omg, i should have never gotten on this flight. you all know we're gonna die don't you? WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" it's terrible. i mean, i have to be totally out, and i can't fly alone bc i would never make it from one destination to another. sometimes i can't believe i haven't been kicked off of a plane:blush:

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Update: Woot

I got my luggage back this morning. It wound up being ferried back from Baltimore by United Airlines.

Northwest was just a little TOO efficient. heh.

At SFO, United was just sitting on the bags. They weren't returning calls from Northwest or Delta. Turkeys!

I am just happy to have my stuff back. I missed my deodorant quite a bit.