1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Offroad motorcycle kit?

Discussion in 'Military/Tactical/Wilderness EMS' started by aaronk22, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

1. aaronk22

aaronk22 Forum Ride Along

I'm putting together a medical kit for riding my motorcycle off road, I'm often many hours from help and the idea is to have the essentials to transport a non-critical patient by 4x4, or to stabilize a sicker patient and wait for HEMS. It needs to be tiny, so I've got it trimmed down to the essentials.

The contents so far:
    ortho stabilization -
    SAM splint, two triangular bandages, coban, tape

bleeding-
    stack of 4x4s, roller gauze, hemostatic gauze, TQ

everything else-
    flashlight, 28F NPA and lube, and a booboo kit with OTCs, steristrips, and a couple topicals

I'm curious to get people's input (especially fellow adventure motorcyclists!) about what else they would/wouldn't include in such a kit.

2. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Not a motorcyclist, but I've done some similar (non-motorized) outdoorsy stuff (& took a WEMT course).

Pretty decent list. Hemorrhage is #1. How long does HEMS take? Any thoughts about a collapsible BVM?

aaronk22 likes this.
  3. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
    Looks like a good list to me. The Pocket BVM might be a good addition. I'd carry 2 TQs. Duct tape.

EpiEMS and aaronk22 like this.
  4. Remi

Remi Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    A small roll of duct can can replace the coban, tape, roller gauze, and steristrips. Pack 5 or 6 triangle bandages and ditch the 4x4's. Add a 30 and 34 french NPA and a 100 and 110 OPA and some way to breathe for a person.

aaronk22 likes this.
  5. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Education:
    Paramedic
    Duct tape is love... duct tape is life. Although its mixed in the medical profession super glue is something I carry when I'm out hunting/ camping. I've found it useful a time or two with deep cuts.

aaronk22 likes this.
  6. aaronk22

aaronk22 Forum Ride Along

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Duct tape to be added for sure. I love the pocket BVM, but it’s still large enough to be more like a “backpack BVM”. Does anybody know of a more compact alternative? Are those CPR pocket masks for mouth-to-mask actually viable for extended ventilation? Probably looking at 60+ minutes before HEMS arrival, by the time they find an appropriate LZ.

7. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Education:
    Paramedic
    This alone is enough to justify having a BVM. You really want to do mouth to mouth or mouth to mask ventilations for 60+ minutes?

8. VFlutter

VFlutter Flight Nurse

Education:
    EMT
    Cyclone BVM

EpiEMS likes this.
  9. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    That's exactly the one I was thinking of!

$45 is pretty steep, but it beats having to use a pocket mask...