Off duty first aid- did i make the right call?

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Ok, so yesterday night at around 11:30, a group of teenage skateboarders were skating in the street outside my house. I heard the sound of a skateboard hitting the pavement followed by a loud scream. I went outside to check it out. A 16 y/o male skater hit the curb and had a really nasty abrasion on his lower leg with bruising around it, and had minor injuries on his hands. No obvious deformities or any other injuries. I offered to help, and he accepted. I got my walmart basic first aid kit and rinsed his wound with water, bandaged it and gave him an ice pack. However, when he got up, he had extreme pain in his leg, and could barely walk. I told him that he probably fractured his tibia, and offered to call an ambulance, call someone to pick him up, or even to drive him to the hospital myself, all of which he refused. He insisted that he only lived 5 blocks away and could make it home. I kept trying to persuade him to call his parents to take him to the hospital, but he was stubborn and refused. His friends ended up doing a really crappy two person walking-assist, and he was yelling in pain as he was practically dragged down the road.

I feel really really bad about how I handled this. But I don't know what else I could have done.
What would you have done if you were in this situation?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Eh, you did all you could. People have the right to make their own decisions, crappy or otherwise.

I really wouldn't stress about it. If I had been there, I likely would have offered the same help or simply asked if he was okay and moved on. If he decides his pain is unbearable he'll seek treatment later.

No worries!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I have had people refuse care/sign off with worse injuries.

When the pain becomes unbearable, he will go to the ER.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't share your concern. He wasn't altered, and a fractured tibia isn't a life-threatening injury. The worst that he'll do is suffer needlessly for a few hours before seeking treatment.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Musculoskeletal injury with PMS intact in that extremity.... "You should probably get that looked at, mate" and go back inside. If I suspected he had a head injury or something, I'd be a bit more pushy.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Don't overthink it; you did the right thing by trying to help.
This.

Musculoskeletal injury with PMS intact in that extremity.... "You should probably get that looked at, mate" and go back inside. If I suspected he had a head injury or something, I'd be a bit more pushy.

And this.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
For these kinds of things I try to think what I'd do before getting into EMS. "Hey man, you alright? That looks like it not hurts. You need anything?" Just like someone who trips out itntotn public. Hey you alright?

Not everything is a call, or needs to be treated as such.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Most injuries in this world are sustained by people without a nearby medical professional. They usually survive.

Deftones

Forum Probie
He's 16. He'll end up going to the hospital on his own. You're fine.

Hell, you did more than many people would. You gave the kid aid, you offered him a ride to the hospital, and you didn't force care down his throat. Feel good.