Off Duty Firefighters save 4 y/o

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
Off duty firefighters saved life of boy trapped in burning SUV

The off-duty firefighters who rushed into a burning SUV and cut a 4-year-old boy out of the seatbelt saved his life, the boy's doctor said during a press conference Tuesday in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

A passerby smashes the windshield of the SUV that crashed and erupted into flames.

1 of 3 The depth of the boy's burns "indicates to me this was a very hot fire, and he was in close contact with it," pediatric surgeon David Gourlay said. "These firefighters were clearly heroic and saved D.J.'s life."

Read more!

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Amazing story

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we get hammered about scene safety. I couldn't watch someone burn up in a car just because the scene isn't safe. I guess individuals have to make their own calls on it.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we get hammered about scene safety. I couldn't watch someone burn up in a car just because the scene isn't safe. I guess individuals have to make their own calls on it.

Plus the guys doing the rescuing are both seasoned FFs. Scene safety for them is a relative thing.

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
Plus the guys doing the rescuing are both seasoned FFs. Scene safety for them is a relative thing.
In the early '60s, my Father witnessed a head on collision on a remote highway. He was a truck driver then. He told the story of pulling people out of the wreck. It was not until after he died and I was going through his house that I found the original news paper story. What Dad had never mentioned is that the cars were on fire at the time. A witness was quoted saying "He had more guts than any man I ever saw." Dad had been a Marine in the Pacific during WWII, I guess "danger" was a relative thing to him as well. When the "opportunity" arises for heroism, it is usually not when somebody is having a good day.

I hope and pray that I am never in a situation where I have to chose between protocol and someone's life, but I will choose life over protocol if I must.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
You should be very proud of your father, I am sure the people he saved have never forgot him.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
In the early '60s, my Father witnessed a head on collision on a remote highway. He was a truck driver then. He told the story of pulling people out of the wreck. It was not until after he died and I was going through his house that I found the original news paper story. What Dad had never mentioned is that the cars were on fire at the time. A witness was quoted saying "He had more guts than any man I ever saw." Dad had been a Marine in the Pacific during WWII, I guess "danger" was a relative thing to him as well.

And obviously your dad was modest as well as heroic...

When the "opportunity" arises for heroism, it is usually not when somebody is having a good day.
This how you can measure the worth of a person. I am not condemning a person who will run away from a situation like the ones mentioned. But when stranger will risk their own life and their own families future to save another. That tells a lot about a person. I bow my head and says thank you to all the TRUE heroes (sports figures and actors are NOT the true heroes...the avg joe, your dad, those off duty FF [the off duty FF are trained to deal with fires, but also have special gear to protect them, which they did not have in the above case]).

I hope and pray that I am never in a situation where I have to chose between protocol and someone's life, but I will choose life over protocol if I must.

scene safety is not really a protocol per se. but understand what you mean.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
wow great story! that family was extremely lucky to have those two FF on scene