Of reciprocity and duty to act

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Where can I find information on what a Maryland EMT-B (both with and without an NREMT certification) can and can't do in other states, and the legal protections and consequences associated thereto?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
JJ, if the powers that be really wished for qualified health care providers to have 'a duty to act' then THEY would be pushing reciprocity not only for ems to cross state lines, they would institute a means of challenging ems state tests for RN's, PA's, LPN's, etc ,instead of making them take a 140 hr course after 2-4-8 yrs of higher ed....

inasmuch as it is commendable that you see it as a duty, the powers that be see it as turf and revenue JJ

~S~

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I don't know if I really meant it quite like that. I understand that the "duty to act", as it's called in the book and in training, is really in your own jurisdiction or if you're out of your jurisdiction but in an ambulance, and that if you're just in regular clothes and not in an ambulance, maybe it's more of your choice to act. But that's kind of why I'm taking this EMT course to begin with, and I know I'll always choose to act if I'm ever in a situation where action is required.

I'm just trying to find out which states allow an MD EMT-B to act as an EMT-B in that state without any additional training or certification in that state, and if there are any legal considerations to...umm...consider. I'm also curious to what difference it makes if one is on the National Registry or not, relative to acting as an EMT-B out of state.

I don't know anything about these powers that be and their turf and revenue battles that you speak of.

I guess my point is that I want to know if I'm licensed in Maryland and driving for private purposes in, say, South Carolina, and I see an MVC occur in front of me, what am I supposed to do, and how protected legally am I. I'm hoping there's an online resource with answers to these kinds of questions on a state-by-state basis. Or maybe I would be better off asking an authority in my own department?

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I would guess you would fall under the Good Samaritan laws in another state. I do not know of anything that requires you to identify yourself as an EMT etc. on the scene of any emergency unless you are on duty, having responded to an incident. The up side of this is you may be acting as just another citizen, but you have the training if used right, to aid better than the average citizen. I know here where I live if on my way to work calling 911 and giving a good report to the dispatch is often enough as I am not responding in an agency capacity to the scene.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah, i've ran into a lotta 'Good Sam's' out there, nurses, ex-corpmen, out of state ems personel. If they have the right moves they're let to help, why not?

look at reciprocity this way, if we could solicit all the health care professionals (with possible state prerequisites) in our town by telling them they need only sit for the test , we'd be one fat & happy crew.

something to think about as these same sorts tighten the riens on us via unfunded federal mandates

but it basically works the same in any state in that most ems upper echelon subscribes only to a shortsighted view to their borders, or lackies that dance to their cric's... Of course just add one little disaster into the mix and temporary reciprocity is granted without much ado...

and the NR? what are they? 14 states? not quite national imho....

bunch of beuracratic boneheads, the lot of 'em...

~S~

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
That's it, just 14 states? I was led to believe that the NR was recognized in most states, from what the instructors told me.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
JJR512 said:
That's it, just 14 states? I was led to believe that the NR was recognized in most states, from what the instructors told me.

This NREMT Map shows which states accept which levels, but be sure to check with the state office first.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I checked into that after posting my previous message. I was surprised to see MD is marked paramedic only, because some of my instructors have told us about how to get the NREMT-B certification right after we get the state cert.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can get certified at any level of NREMT no matter where you are, but you're state will not automatically recognize it as an approved course unless they have an agreement with the NREMT.

Washington only recognizes NREMT-P, but I managed to keep my NREMT-B when I moved here.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as duty to act...

Help. But don't tell them why you know what to do. Just say "yea, I know first aid". Don't have to go in an Say woo hoo, I'll help, I'm a paramedic, number 1234XYZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had a call last week that EMT xxxxxx of station 21 called in, and was onscene for.

I got her cert number and docmented as such in my chart. No big deal.