Odd question

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'll make this short.

My parents had me very sheltered. I wasn't allowed to even go to sex ed.

Naked people (men and women) kind of freak me out a bit. But I'd rather be an EMT and get over it than let it stop me.

How do I accomplish that?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
When you say naked people "freak you out a bit," do you mean they make you a little uncomfortable? Or are you saying you get non-functional? I don't know how you'd get past the latter, but the former isn't unusual.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Not sure what the connection between lack of "sex ed" and being uncomfortable with human nakedness is. A lot of people have a lot of difficulty being around emotionally distraught and weeping/crying people too. Then there is the difficulty with traumatically disfigured bodies...Learning some sexual narrative has nothing to do with maturely engaging humans in their most vulnerable and exposed conditions.

It's a matter of maturity and experience, not some preconceived notion of a contrived assumption. For centuries most nurses were celibate nuns...they seemed to do OK...

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
A lot of it comes down to professionalism and experience. I've seen so many naked people that unless they are walking down the halls or out in public it doesn't even phase me. I also doubt that you will really be seeing that many naked patient in EMS, the vast majority of patients are fully clothed from the beginning to the end of the call. Shy of living in a foreign country that has a less prudish approach to the human body (which is completely different from how the society regards sexual behavior) for a couple of years I'm not really sure how this is something you are going to become more comfortable with (although living in foreign countries is a great experience and gave me a great respect for approaching cultural differences).

A lot of people have a lot of difficulty being around emotionally distraught and weeping/crying people too.

I'm 100% that person. I guess that from that perspective I've learned how to handle the situation at the time but I still hate it. It is also part of the job and the reward I get from helping my patients far exceeds how uncomfortable the patient/family emotions make me feel.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
No, I don't lose the ability to function, but my family was the kind that would let you watch all the horror and gore, but cover up and skip any naked bits .

It's still a bit shocking, to be honest. Am I going to wail and sob with dispair if I see a naked guy? No. Am I averting my gaze and going the other way (not saying others enjoy it)? Yes .

I was under the impression EMTs see naked people not all the time, but regularly enough.

Maybe I'm just getting overly concerned for no good reason.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Sarah, I don't think your situation is unusual. When I was a kid (the '50s and early '60s), it wasn't unusual for families to act as yours did. I got over it and so will you. On the positive side, you'll understand that modesty is important to many of your patients, and you won't start shredding their clothes just because you can.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
On scene or in the back of the ambulance the sexual connotations of "nakedness" will be the furthest thing from your mind. It may feel a little strange to "expose" folks of either gender, but to do your job it is necessary and it shouldn't freak you out or anything near it.

I've delivered 2 babies and had quite a few women with contractions that we took to the hospital. It was a job thing and had nothing to do with them being "exposed." Had some males that need to be exposed, no big deal. The same with putting leads on males or females, if the breast gets in the way, move the darn thing and get to work. It's all just flesh and you don't have time to either admire or gag over it.

Reactions: Eir

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The same with putting leads on males or females, if the breast gets in the way, move the darn thing and get to work.
But whatever you do, whether it be a man or woman, if the breast is in the way, and you need to move it, DO NOT LIFT IT FROM THE NIPPLE.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
It's just the body but like all things you get use to it. I honestly never see most my patients naked unless there intentionally naked haha. Even when occur off clothes I leave the underwear on unless I need cut them off due to injury or whatever. I think only once have I actually stopped and looked and that was due to the patient having a very oddly shaped penis ‍♂️

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
For centuries most nurses were celibate nuns...they seemed to do OK...

Seems many historians and other related documents would dispute this claim...much like the modern day celibate priests...don't ask, dont tell.

I was under the impression EMTs see naked people not all the time, but regularly enough.

Cannot speak for others, however I do!! Just not on the job...

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Seems many historians and other related documents would dispute this claim...much like the modern day celibate priests...don't ask, dont tell.

Which historians and documents are those? No doubt that fidelity to vows of celibacy fly in the face of modern narratives of sexual permissiveness and contradict those of modern historical deconstructionists, but I'm curious nonetheless...I said "most"...and "don't ask, don't tell" was official Clinton administration policy on actively homosexual service people in the US armed services. I'm not familiar with such an official policy in the Catholic Church.

Breaking a vow, whether popularly expedient or not, religious or not, has universally been seen as evidence of weakness of character.

What documents/historians regarding the breaking of vows of celibacy by religious sisters that are also nurses are you referring to?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I figured you would reply back like that. The information is plenty with google searches. I really haven't the time or inclination to do the homework for you, if you are that interested. If you are, then you will need many hours of free time and it will come forward. This is not a dodge to the claim, this is me avoiding a pointless debate and resting comfortably in the fact the information is there if you wanna search for it.

As for the other statement, yes I am aware of the Clinton policy and I thought it amusingly appropriate to use it to describe priests and their celibacy. The entire history of how and when nuns and priests started being celibate and then mandated to celibacy is fascinating. There was a time when this was not the case, even within the Catholic faith.

Anyways, happy googling, reading, or visiting religious, history or religious history forums.

Eir

Forum Probie
I had a week where I was had three unrelated calls where the patient was sitting on the toilet. Between that and 12-leads, you see your share of bits.

I think this is the sort of work where something about it will trigger you in some way when you first get started. You just have to learn to work through that situation, whatever it is.

Edit: Removed accidental invitation for excess immaturity.