Odd question

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
We are getting ready to take our state practicals. The study guide shows this for scene size up:

BSI
Scene safe
Number of patients
Need for additional help (police, fire, Power, Gas, Etc)
Determine nature of illness
Introduce yourself
Consider spinal stabilization

My question is:
How do you determine/verbalize NOI for a cardiac scenario? Is this just simply ruling out MOI and declaring it a medical issue? OR, is it based off the scene for determination of possibilities?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
My question is:
How do you determine/verbalize NOI for a cardiac scenario? Is this just simply ruling out MOI and declaring it a medical issue? OR, is it based off the scene for determination of possibilities?

"This is a medical call, with an apparent cardiac nature of illness. I consider spinal stabilization, but it seems unnecessary based on current information. If ALS is available, I activate ALS."

It's just based on what you know from dispatch and what you see walking into the scene. Trust me, for your practical, they will likely make it painfully obvious.

clibb

Forum Captain
I just said. "I would call ALS and have them on standby if needed later on in the call. If they are needed, we would meet with them on the way to the hospital". Check and I got it correct.

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
My practicals are Saturday at 09:45. I am very edgy. I know we will have a cardiac, medical, and trauma station. What I don't know are the critical Pass/Fail points. Instructors wouldn't tell us. They gave us some sheets that are supposed to be overkill. "If you do everything on these sheets you'll pass" kind of thing. I just know, I am going to get there and forget some stupid little thing and have to retest. I wish I had someone close that has taken these tests before. Unfortunately the only people I know in this field are my instructors and the guys I did my ride time with. Any advice on how to go about studying for my practicals? Memorizing these sheets isn't the answer. I'll miss steps doing that. I need hands on. Guess, I kinda rambled here. Sorry.

Below is a ZIP file of the three sheets

Attachments

• Practicals.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Uh... don't you have the National Registry skill sheets? There's a box on the bottom for the critical points you have to hit.

See if you can get some people from class together for a fun study session outside of class. Run scenarios together.

It's also easy to teach others with no experience, such as random friends, significant others, whomever, to test you. Just hand them the sheet, come up with some scenario, and run through it as you would for the test. Tell them to make sure you hit all the points.

Verbalize EVERYTHING as you practice and as you take the test. If I talked like I did during EMT class scenarios/testing with real patients they would think I'm insane.... "alright now I'm going to measure the collar... lock it.... slide it in under em." But it was a great way to make sure I was staying on track, hitting everything and that the instructor knew what I was thinking and doing. I passed everything the first go and got every possible point.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And even if your state uses different skill sheets, you should be able to find them online somewhere, and they should have the critical criteria on it

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I must suck at the interweb. I can't find the NREMT or Iowa's sheets.

Mostly I'm just antsy. I was stupid and volunteered to take mine on the 5th. The rest of my classmates are doing them on the 12th.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know, if EMT schools could teach a proper assessment, there wouldn't be the need for a skills sheet.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You know, if EMS wanted to be more like other medical professipns, people who make the rules would quit requiring this stupid skills testing.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be fair USMLE and COMLEX step 2 does have a practical component. Of course it isn't a regurgitate a checklist practical exam.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
To be fair USMLE and COMLEX step 2 does have a practical component. Of course it isn't a regurgitate a checklist practical exam.

I really wish I lived in a city that has Step 2. SPs get paid pretty darn well.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
What are USMLE and COMLEX?

The medical licensing examinations for MDs and DOs respectively (though DOs wanting to do Allopathic residencies also take the USMLE).

Step 1 is basic sciences, taken after the second year of medical school, Step 2 has two parts, clinical knowledge and clinical practice, and is taken after medical school, and Step 3 is... err... more clinical stuff, and is taken after the first year or residency to get your unrestricted practice rights.

JP can probably tell you way more about it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The medical licensing examinations for MDs and DOs respectively (though DOs wanting to do Allopathic residencies also take the USMLE).

Step 1 is basic sciences, taken after the second year of medical school, Step 2 has two parts, clinical knowledge and clinical practice, and is taken after medical school, and Step 3 is... err... more clinical stuff, and is taken after the first year or residency to get your unrestricted practice rights.

JP can probably tell you way more about it.

You pretty much got it. The only thing wrong is Step 1 after second year, Step 2 during the 4th year, and Step 3 during post graduate year (residency year) 1.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
You pretty much got it. The only thing wrong is Step 1 after second year, Step 2 during the 4th year, and Step 3 during post graduate year (residency year) 1.

Yeah, that was supposed to be first year "of" residency, not "or" residency. :) What used to be called your internship year, I suppose, when people could do a year and then become licensed as GPs.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In most states you can still be licensed as a physician after just the intership year. The problem, though, is getting malpractice insurance and hospital privilages.

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
Well, I passed my practicals. I passed all three stations on the first try. My NREMT application has been sent to Pearson Vue for authorization to test. I am hopeing to test this Friday or Saturday. I don't know how hard it is to get scheduled. I should have my authorization to test tomorrow or Thursday.