Odd Capnography

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
I saw a thread a little while ago about odd capnography and I had a call recently that had me wondering about what was going on as well.

Dispatched out for "syncopal", we get on scene and PD is doing compressions. Male in his 40s passed out at work, PD was in the area and arrived, started compressions within a few mins. Initial rhythm was agonal. Only hx we got was that he drank a lot of energy drinks. We got a line, pushed Epi, I got the tube and the initial EtCO2 was 12mmhg for the first 10mins of the code. Then it jumped up to 38mmHg, we reassessed and found no change in rhythm and no pulse (the rhythm was agonal for the whole call). The capno never got below 20mmHg after that for the remainder of the call... We ended up transporting after 20mins on scene and at the ER there was no cardiac activity with ultrasound so they called it. The only time I've seen a drastic change like that is when we get pulses back. I'm just curious if there is something besides ROSC that can cause a jump like that? Were the firefighters just doing baller CPR?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did y'all give Bicarb?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Maybe someone gets organs- kidneys and liver ought to still be viable.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Could be the epi.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
I saw the same thing once on a patient who was asystole and never got ROSC. Maybe someone has an explanation for this?