Obtaining Indiana Reciprocity, my troubles

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
As some of you have seen, I have had a very difficult time dealing with Indiana DHS, so I thought I would take a moment to explain what I have gone through.

I tested and passed NREMT on April 5th. April 15th after ~15 phone calls and 4 emails, I was finally able to get it finalized through the state.

Fast forward to obtaining Indiana Reciprocity.

In most cases Indiana requires you to take their test to obtain reciprocity, I assume the curriculum difference is terrorism awareness since we had to go over it in class. They will even consistently tell you that you have to take the Indiana exam until you read them their own IAC. There is a clause in the IAC that states as follows:
(5) Be a person who:
(A) holds a current emergency medical technician registration from the National Registry; and
(B) has completed a course equivalent to the Indiana approved curriculum.

This is under:
836 IAC 4-4-3 Certification based upon reciprocity
Authority: IC 16-31-2-7
Affected: IC 16-31-3-8; IC 16-31-3-10
Sec. 3. (a) To obtain certification based upon reciprocity, an individual shall be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age and
meet one (1) of the following requirements:

Now to do this DHS requires you to write a letter to them stating you have taken an Indiana approved course in state, passed practical skills in state, and have passed NREMT. I did this including the course number, where I tested, and my NREMT certification number, as well as sent a copy of my course completion, and cited the section of IAC allowing me to do so. The letter was mailed May 16th via USPS certified. April 18th the delivery was attempted. April 20th they received the letter and I was entered into the database as active.

April 25th I received my letter from DHS containing my card and a letter. The letter was to explain that I was given temporary certification based on reciprocity and that I have 6 months to take the Indiana exam or cease practice. They sited the following IAC:(please note this is a sub-section to the code I already posted

(b) Any nonresident of Indiana who possesses a certificate or license as an emergency medical technician that is valid in
another state, or a valid registration issued by the National Registry, upon affiliation with an Indiana certified provider organization
may apply to the agency for temporary certification as an emergency medical technician. Upon receipt of a valid application and
verification of valid status by the agency, the agency may issue temporary certification, which shall be valid for the duration of the
applicant's current certificate or license or for a period not to exceed six (6) months from the date that the reciprocity request is
approved by the agency, whichever period of time is shorter. A person receiving temporary certification may apply for full
certification using the procedure required in section 1 of this rule.

Now not only am I not an out of state resident, as my return address would have shown, I also have no affiliation with any provider, leading me to wonder how they even came up with this.

So far the experience has been less than enjoyable, however I am thankful that I am at least certified, if only for 6 months, at least I can get a job and continue to sort this out. I will not take the Indiana test, i have already spent enough money becoming an EMT, and I will not allow them to change laws as they see fit.

Thats been my experience so far. Hopefully someone down the road will find it helpful if they ever go through this.

*Mods please move if necessary, this is my first thread so I hope i didnt screw it up :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
So far the experience has been less than enjoyable, however I am thankful that I am at least certified, if only for 6 months, at least I can get a job and continue to sort this out. I will not take the Indiana test, i have already spent enough money becoming an EMT, and I will not allow them to change laws as they see fit.

Then you won't be working in Indiana six months from now.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but maybe my reading comprehension is failing. You mailed the required documents, you received your temporary certification, and now you're... declaring you're a rebel who isn't going to follow their rules anymore?

OP
OP
rmabrey

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
the point of this thread was to share m experience. As for being a rebel, your reading comprehesions is failing. I posted the IAC under which my temporary certifivation was issued, and the IAC under which it should have been issued. Per their rules i am not required to take the Indiana exam but they have repeatedly told me i have to. They are wrong

OP
OP
rmabrey

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
IDHS is very helpful when you flood their email daily. Everything has finally been straightened out B)

rjames

Forum Ride Along
reciprocity in indiana

Hi I read your post from a while back and im in the same boat. Did you ever I DA waytono take the test??? Im a poor newly wed who isn't trying to spend $100 and miss work to take the state test.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it possible for you to look into getting a job with a service and then obtaining assistance from HR or the education department with finalizing your reciprocity?

Adriel Stoltzfus

Forum Probie
I just moved to Indiana from California....I just got my California state license in September...is there any way around their state test? Still kinda confused why Indiana wouldn't accept NREMT!!!!!!?????
Any help would be appreciated!