O2 regulator leaks

nobody

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys...first timer here..

Question: What O2 washers do you use for your small O2 bottles. I work for fire rescue and we use the plastic ones that come with the bottles. Seems over time the guys have to crank them down harder and harder to get a good seal. We have even used the O2 key to get good leverage to get a good seal. Over time the t-handle bends and even breaks occasionally. Do y'all use the washers the bottles come with or do you find other work better? I found one washer called STAT-O-Seal I would like to try but not sure it will help.
thanks

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
The plastic ones are single use only, so if you are using them for multiple bottle changes there is the problem.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We use a rubber O-ring with I believe a brass outer ring. They are multiple use only and we have a ton of them. Not sure on the name.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
As stated above, the plastic washers that accompany the regulators are for a one time seal only, meaning that you should not tighten, loosen and re-tighten. Never place two seals together to make a "better seal". The reusable nylon with brass edging can be re-used.

Now here's the reason why you don't want to over tighten or under estimate what can happen if you don't follow cylinder safety:
http://www.apsf.org/newsletters/html/2006/summer/FDA.html
http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/FDANIOSHO2Fires.pdf

And for those who remember when regulators were made of aluminum:
https://www.astm.org/SNEWS/ND_2008/chiffoleaunewton_nd08.html

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
One time use seals:
042405-o2fires-1.gif

Reusable seals:
042405-o2fires-2.gif

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our bottles have the far right blue one in the top picture on every one. But all our regulators also have a brass and rubber (viton?) on it as well. Between the two we get a good seal. mostly.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
I highly recommend not to use two seals. It should be OK to ditch the plastic one in favour of keeping the nylon one. Also, take a close look at the regulator for any dings that may cause a leak. If there is one, replace the regulator.

I used to do a "traveling road show" to regional EMS services on oxygen safety. When I started, I would suggest that cylinder fires were a rare occurrence, however almost every service I went to had a story of it happening. I now believe its far more common that I thought. One story mentioned a beach rescue where the cylinder caught fire and they immediately pitched the cylinder in the lake. I really wish I was there to see that one.

OP
OP
N

nobody

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the information fellas...from your experience what combination have you had the most success with? Im leaning toward the brass and viton.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
thanks for the information fellas...from your experience what combination have you had the most success with? Im leaning toward the brass and viton.

Brass and Viton on all our regulators now. No leaks and no excessive tightening is needed.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
No matter what you do, you will eventually have leaks. Dont take the average or above average people you work with into account. Take the lowest intelligence/common sense level employee. They will eventually neglect the washer and crank the regulator so tight as to irreparably damage it.