O2 for motion sickness?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The other night, a patient complained of feeling motion sick while being transported. My partner administered high-flow O2, saying it would help. The patient said it did. Meant to ask him about it, but we were slammed with calls and I haven't seen him since. So, is this a common trick? Does it actually work, or is it a placebo thing? If it does work, how?

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Motion sickness is more neurological than anything... It sounds placeboish to me. Reminds me of when my mother told me that it was impossible to vomit when sitting in front of a fan. :mellow:

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
You didn't have the fan up large enough. It ain't vomiting until it passes the lips. :p

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks, both of you! That's kinda what I suspected, but I'd wanted to check.

^
You didn't have the fan up large enough. It ain't vomiting until it passes the lips. :p

Reminds of a babysitter when I was little who told me it would be ok to get up from bed and walk to the bathroom, because I couldn't vomit standing up. I proceeded to stand up and vomit all over her. Worst part about it was that she was nearly through nursing school at the time.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
When you feel nauseous, what do you usually do?

Turn on the fan, take deep breaths. Which essentially seem like the same thing as providing medium-to-high flow 02 to me.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Placebos are real

If you go over the history of modern medicine you'll find that a significant percentage of treatments have never been anything BUT placebos and they worked for thousands of people until they were debunked! Some have even saved lives!

What you're working with -- in cases where you offer remedies that pose no harm in non-threatening situations -- is the person's belief system, first, and their belief in YOU second. So if you tell someone about to puke that a fan, or 02 will really help, do it with conviction and learn about your powers as a healer. You are the most effective placebo there is because most people respond to connection more than anything else.