NYS Recert methods

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
This is for all you New york state folks.

I got certified originally in NYS, and my certification lapses in about 8 months, just trying to figure out how to re-cert the easiest way possible. I'd like to avoid going back to a classroom if possible.

Thanks folks.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I got certified originally in NYS, and my certification lapses in about 8 months, just trying to figure out how to re-cert the easiest way possible. I'd like to avoid going back to a classroom if possible.

CME based recert with your current agency, that's the easiest one.
Failing that, you would likely have to do a "challenge refresher", which could mean anywhere between very little and a lot of classroom time depending on your exam performance.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
and once you do recert, apply for reciprocity to get a NJ card (but don't do it before!!!!)

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
CME based recert with your current agency, that's the easiest one.
Failing that, you would likely have to do a "challenge refresher", which could mean anywhere between very little and a lot of classroom time depending on your exam performance.
What if I’m no longer with an agency :) *shrugs*

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
What if I’m no longer with an agency :) *shrugs*
I think the only option, then, is to do a recert class - typically, they are structured so that you take a written & practical exam on the second class (or maybe the third). The written, if you do well enough in each section, gets you out of attending *most* of the classes. The practical gets you out of having to pass the practical at the end of the class, though you do still have to take the state written exam again.