Nursing Home Sign Refusal for Patient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
Can a nursing home, nurse, refuse care for a patient (sign the refusal) with dementia A/Ox0 that fell out of bed causing a skin tear on his left leg, without contacting the family or power of attorney?

Or is it not defensible in court when the family finds out later about a spine injury that resulted from the fall?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Can a nursing home, nurse, refuse care for a patient (sign the refusal) with dementia A/Ox0 that fell out of bed causing a skin tear on his left leg, without contacting the family or power of attorney?

Or is it not defensible in court when the family finds out later about a spine injury that resulted from the fall?

Contact your medical director or attorney.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Seems like you're asking for borderline legal advice. I'm sure this differs from system to system, state to state. Would I feel comfortable with releasing a patient with open wounds caused by trauma, to the faculty staff? Nope.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like you're asking for borderline legal advice. I'm sure this differs from system to system, state to state. Would I feel comfortable with releasing a patient with open wounds caused by trauma, to the faculty staff? Nope.

The open wound is a skin tear. Bandage and advise staff to follow up with MD orders in morning.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Once again, we sing in unison, "No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship"

Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.